Looking for some help getting more things done around your house? These 11 Simple Time-Saving Tips for Busy Families include smart strategies and clever shortcuts to help you get tons done so you have more time to enjoy the things you love.
11 Simple Time-Saving Tips for Busy Families
Running a household is time-consuming. Cooking, cleaning, shopping and organizing all seek our attention. As a mom, I’m always looking for ways to make life simpler and easier to get all these things done and not lose my mind in the process. With 4 kids and a dog, I’ve gotten close, but haven’t lost it completely yet 🙂
Over the years, I’ve come across some smart strategies and clever shortcuts to help my family have more time to spend together and I want to share them with you.
Read on for some simple changes you can make to be more efficient around the house
- Get ready for morning the night before – Breakfast, lunch, backpacks, homework, etc. can all be organized and laid out for the next day. Mornings will go so much smoother if you have this system in place.
- Autopay your bills – Once you get reoccurring payments set up, this will save you tons of time on a monthly basis. Opt for email statements when possible, this eliminates more paper coming into the house and the need to sort it.
- Keep your house in a clean state – It sounds impossible, but really isn’t. When we get busy, cleaning is one of the things that slip by the wayside. Don’t let that happen. Staying on top of cleaning your house will make it less overwhelming on a regular basis and is more efficient. I like this article on How to Clean Your House in 15 Minutes or Less.
- Place a mat at each doorway – To make sure less dirt is coming into the house, keep it out! By placing a door mat at each entrance you’ll cut down the need to sweep or vacuum as often.
- Sort Your Silverware – As you fill your dishwasher, place each type of utensil in its own slot. This saves a ton of time when unloading.
- Have kids help with chores and cleanup – There is no way you can do it all. Kids are capable of helping around the house, starting at a young age. Create a chore chart and have them pitch in. Research suggests that kids tend to have higher self-esteem if given responsibilities around the house.
- Designate a spot for “in-use” cups – I know this sounds simple, but it makes a big difference. Don’t fill the dishwasher with cups that have been used once. Designate a spot on the counter or window sill for cups that are in use and you’ll only have to wash them once a day instead of several.
- Avoid clothes that need ironing or dry cleaning – There are so many great options nowadays for clothing that doesn’t need to be ironed or dry cleaned. Read the tag before you buy and make sure it’s machine washable. You’ll save time and money!
- Presort laundry (lights/darks) – Have a laundry bin in your room and kids’ rooms so dirty clothes can be sorted as they are put in. Lights in one. Darks in another. This saves a ton of time when it’s laundry day. Also, make sure your loads are full to save on water and utilities.
- Wash clothes less often – Not all clothes need to be washed every time you wear them. If you have an undershirt on, the top layer could be worn multiple times before it actually needs washing. Jeans don’t need to be washed very often either…some people don’t wash them at all, but that might be taking it a little too far! Keep a lookout for items in your wardrobe that can be re-worn before putting them in the wash.
- Make time for yourself – How is this a time-saver you ask? Well, the more you invest in yourself and don’t get caught up in the “I’m Too Busy” trap, the more at peace you’ll be with life and the responsibilities that come with it. You won’t feel as overwhelmed and you’ll ultimately be more productive.
Check out this video for hacks you can do to make laundry easier.
If you’re looking for more tips, take a look at these Simple Organizational Tips for Busy Families.
If you want a FREE printable with 25 Amazing Time Savers that will help you be more efficient around the house. Enter your email below.
Household chores aren’t my favorite, but being more efficient around the house gives me more time to do the things I really enjoy doing. I hope these simple time-saving tips help you get to the things you enjoy, too!