Tater Tot Casserole is the perfect comfort food recipe! Crispy tots, ground beef, and gooey cheese! This kid-friendly tater tot recipe satisfies the entire family and is on the table in just over 30 minutes! An easy weeknight dinner.
Who doesn't love tater tots?? Our kids devour them, so making the best Tater tot casserole with beef was a no-brainer for us! They remind us of childhood, so we could eat them anytime and be perfectly content.
You can also make Tater Tot Casserole in the Crockpot! It's so good!
Did you know Americans consume approximately 70 million pounds of tater tots per year? Guess we're not the only ones who love them.
This recipe is also called a Hot Dish Casserole in some parts of the country.
This post contains affiliate links. Disclosure Policy here.
We like this ground beef Tater Tot Casserole with Worcestershire Sauce because it enhances the overall flavor.
- Ground Beef - or you can use ground turkey.
- Onion - chopped to give the meat mixture a good flavor.
- Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup - we like to use Campbells.
- Milk - low-fat or whatever you have on hand.
- Worcestershire Sauce - gives the dish enhanced flavor.
- Cheddar Cheese - grated. Mild or sharp cheese will work.
- Frozen Tater Tots - the star of the recipe!
- Salt and Pepper - to taste.
Optional Ingredients include green beans, corn, peas, or other mixed vegetables.
How to Make - step-by-step instructions
This is a pretty simple recipe. Grab your casserole dish, and let's get cooking!
Before starting, preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (218 degrees C).
Step 1 - Brown Hamburger Meat
First, you need to brown your meat and onions in a large skillet over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink. Make sure to break the beef up and drain the fat once it is cooked.
Step 2 - Make the Sauce
Now, mix in the cream of mushroom soup, milk, and Worcestershire sauce, season with salt and Pepper to taste, add one cup of shredded cheese, and give it a good stir.
Step 3 - Put it all Together and Bake
Next, place the beef mixture in your baking dish and top it with the frozen tater tots and remaining cheddar cheese. Place it in the oven and bake uncovered for 25 minutes or until tater tots are crisp and the cheese is golden brown.
A good sturdy pan (in a cute Agave blue color) to make your casserole is this 13x9 pan by Rachel Ray.
And yes, the layer of tater tots stays crisp and delicious! Our family rates this recipe very high for ease and deliciousness!
If you're looking for a Crock-Pot Tater Tot Casserole recipe, we have one of those, too!
What to serve with your tater tot casserole
We like to keep it simple, so a green salad or roasted vegetables as a side dish works well.
Optional add-ins and swaps
There are a few things you can do to customize your casserole to your liking:
- Add one teaspoon of garlic powder to the meat mixture.
- Swap milk for sour cream.
- Add frozen vegetables like green beans, peas, or corn.
- Add crumbled bacon.
Can you freeze hamburger tater tot casserole?
Yes, you can freeze the tater tot casserole either before baking it or after. This Tater Tot Casserole Freezer Meal article includes all the details on how to do it easily and reheat it.
You may also wonder how to prevent freezer burn when storing recipes in the freezer.
Recipe tips & tricks
- We always look for ways to make dinner a little healthier, so we often use ground turkey instead of ground beef and throw in some frozen peas, broccoli, or green beans. The kids roll their eyes about it, but they know we care 🙂
- Feel free to use cream of chicken soup or cream of celery soup. Whatever you have in your pantry works well in this recipe.
Other Tasty Dinner Casseroles
- Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole
- One-pot Macaroni and Cheese with Veggies
- Mexican Chicken and Rice Casserole
- Beef Enchilada Casserole
- Roasted Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
Meatless tater tot casserole
You can also make this tater tot casserole meatless, which is delicious, by omitting the meat. You can also add extra veggies.
Tater tot casserole variations
Fortunately, you can change up this delicious family dinner in a million different ways.
Your family will love any one of these Tater Tot Casserole variations! Try one today!
- Taco Tater Tot Casserole (Mexican)- Green chiles or jalapeños, corn, diced tomatoes, and pepper jack cheese give this recipe a spicy flavor.
- Chili Tater Tot Casserole - Add chili, corn, and olives to the base and top with tater tots and cheese
- Breakfast Tater Tot Casserole - Layer those gorgeous, crispy tots with eggs, crumbled sausage, and cheese. You will not be disappointed!
- Green Bean Tater Tot Casserole - to make your tater tot casserole with veggies, add a 15-ounce can or about 2 cups of frozen green beans.
- And, of course, you can make a Crock Pot Tater Tot Casserole!
Tater tots aren't just for lunchrooms and cafeterias. You can enjoy them anytime. You can easily double this recipe to eat throughout the week, which is a huge time saver for busy moms!
What to serve with tater tot casserole?
Most people find this Tater Tot Casserole a meal in itself. However, a green salad or a side of vegetables goes well with the dish.
Where did tater tot casserole come from?
Tater Tot Casserole of "hotdish" originated in the upper midwest region of the united states. It's sometimes called "church casserole" because it first appeared in a cookbook by a church group. Hotdish casserole is cooked in a single dish and served hot (per its name).
We love to hear from you!
If you try this tater tot hotdish casserole recipe or any other recipe on Suburban Simplicity, don't forget to rate the recipe and let us know how it went in the comments below; we love hearing from you! Better yet, use the hashtag #suburbansimplicity if you make the recipe.
You can also FOLLOW US FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM, and PINTEREST to see more delicious food, fun crafts, + DIYs!
Tater Tot Casserole Recipe
- 9x11 baking pan
- 10-inch skillet pan
- 1 pound ground beef (or turkey)
- 1 small onion (diced)
- 1 10.75 ounce can Campbell's® Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup
- ½ cup milk (low-fat or full fat)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (mild or sharp)
- 3 cups frozen Tater Tots
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Cook beef and diced onion in 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat until beef is well browned, stirring to break up meat. Pour off any fat.
- Stir condensed soup, milk, 1 cup cheese, salt and pepper, and Worcestershire Sauce into the skillet. Spoon beef mixture into an 11x9-inch shallow baking dish. Arrange potatoes on top of meat mixture and top with remaining cup of cheese.
- Bake at 425 degrees F (218 degrees C) for 25 minutes or until potatoes are crisp and cheese is slightly brown.
The recipe was originally published on April 4, 2016. We updated it with enhanced instructions and video on May 20, 2020.
Denise/DIY Crush says
Looks yummy! I need to try this, I'm sure my kids will love it! Thank you so much for sharing at my craft party on Thursday! Would love to see your newest posts this week, which starts at 7pm EST.
Amanda at The Kolb Corner says
My husband loves tater tot casserole. Thank you for sharing your recipe with us at Merry Monday! Pinned.
It's the perfect comfort food for sure! Thanks for coming by and thanks for the pin!
this is a great kid friendly recipe. I would love for you to share it over at http://tryit-likeit.com/link-it
That's a whole lot of tots that get eaten in a year... I'm sure I'm a huge part in that number! 😉 I simply can't wait to make this for my guys!
I'm sure they'll love it! A hearty, yummy meal 🙂 I wish I could eat more tater tots, but really I would be 500 lbs if I did!
I have never tried tater tot casseroles but yours look delicious!! It doesn't look difficult so I can give it a try, we love potatoes!
Thanks so much for sharing it with us at #sweetinspiration party, enjoy the rest of the week!
Nope, not difficult at all. I promise you will love this one....well, in the very least if you have kids, they will love this one 🙂 have a wonderful weekend, Pili!
Mary-the boondocks blog says
Erin I don't know what tater tots are but I'm guessing they must be some sort of potatoes. I'm a huge fan of potatoes and the rest of the recipe seems easy enough. I could definitely make this. Comfort food at it's best! Thank you for linking up to our first Sweet Inspiration party!
Casseroles are the perfect midweek dinner for my family. This one is a keeper! Thank you so much for linking at #ThursdayFavoriteThings! I look forward to seeing what you share very week. Please come back for #OverTheMoon on Sunday night. Don't forget to comment your link #'s so I can be sure to visit. Pinned and shared.
Yes, this one is a family favorite. It truly is hard to please everyone at the dinner table, but this recipe seems to do that. Plus, it such a comfort food for those busy, crazy days!
I had to smile when I saw this post for two reasons. 1. My husband bought a HUGE bag of tater tots a couple of months ago, and we are STILL eating them! This recipe will help clean out my freezer! 🙂 2. We are planning an "adult" kids meal gathering and were looking for ways to take "kid food" and "grow it up" a little. This may be a solution! 🙂
I think this is the perfect recipe on both counts! And it's tasty, so you will be the hit of your party, which I think is a crazy fun idea. Enjoy!
Nikki Frank-Hamilton says
Erin, I love this! It looks like you could whip this up while your meat is on the grill or finishing off in the oven, and I bet it is a hit with the kids. You are genius, sneaking in the veggies! Great way to get more out of a fun dish. This would be especially great during the spring and summer months as parents are running kids to sports and activities, it wouldn't take long to put together!
Oh I really love quick and easy meal ideas. My kids would love this too, even the picky eater 🙂 x #WAYWOW
Thanks for coming by, Yvonne. Quick, easy and delicious are my favorite meals. I really like this recipe because everyone in the family enjoyed it! With 6 of us, that's saying a lot!
You had me at tater tots too! 🙂 hehe I will have to try this minus the meat for me, ahem, I mean for my kids 😉
It'd be just as good without the meat, Erin! A comfort dish for sure!
Tater tot casserole is one of my husband's favorite meals! Although our version is tomato based, but I'd be interested to try this one.
Tomatoes would be good in here, too. They're not the kids favorite, so I often leave them out of dishes like this. Thanks for popping by, Meg!
This recipe has everything my kids love, so I am sure they will love it when I make this. It does sound like a yummy comfort food meal.
Yummy it is! Plus, it took barely any time to cook up. It's a great family meal!
Kathryn Griffin says
Erin, this looks amazing! Comfort food at its best! Thank you for sharing and thank you for the visit and sweet comment at The Dedicated House. It means the world! I will definitely be back tomorrow night to link up. I would love it if you would share any of your posts at my Make it Pretty party. Here is the link if you want to check it out. http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2016/04/make-pretty-monday-week-174.html Wishing you a happy week! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse
Thanks for coming by, Kathryn! I look forward to checking out your party!
Hi Erin, you had me at tater tots. 😉 This sounds so easy to make yet so delicious. I think ground beef, potato and Worcestershire sauce is such an awesome combination. Thanks for sharing.
Easy and delicious is a perfect meal in my house! comfort food on those busy nights is such a blessing. Thanks for coming by, Mina!