Serve up this flavorful one-pot Mexican Chicken, Rice and Veggie Casserole for dinner tonight! It’s healthy and delicious and clean-up is a breeze.
Mexican Chicken, Rice and Veggie Casserole
Hola! Have we told you how much we LOVE Mexican food?
It’s the best go-to comfort food – so darn yummy and so satisfying! Seriously, if you told me I had to eat it several times a week, I’d totally be okay with that. One Mexican recipe that’s both healthy and delicious, and the whole family enjoys, is this Mexican Chicken, Rice and Veggie Casserole!
I love feeding my family Healthy Food Recipes and this fits the bill!
Perhaps it was the cheesy Mexican restaurant down the street growing up, or my time spent living in Cabo San Lucas after college, that makes me love Mexican cuisine so much. Eating a casserole or Chicken Enchilada Verde Soup on a cold winter night is heavenly!
Now that I’m grown up and have a family of my own, I love the fact that we all agree – Mexican food is tasty!
Other Great Mexican Recipes
Mexican Chicken and Rice Recipe
This savory Mexican Chicken and Rice Casserole recipe comes together with basically what is hanging out in your pantry – Rice, beans, salsa, corn and green chilies plus some fresh veggies and leftover chicken from the fridge.
It’s safe to say this is definitely a fall-back dinner recipe we eat time and time again.
It’s versatile. You can mix and match the veggies you have on hand, which makes it nutritious and delicious. I also like this recipe made with Uncle Ben’s® Brown Rice Medley With Roasted Garlic. It’s also amazing leftover for lunch the next day! Heat and serve. Perfect!
Cooking Your Mexican Casserole
Ok, let’s see how simple it is to put this casserole together.
To bring out the full flavor of your spices, I think it’s nice to sauté your onions with the spices.
Then, you stir in the diced pepper. Next add your garlic, green chilies, and zucchini. I use canned mild green chilies (I’m a wimp when it comes to spice), but you can use fresh jalapeños if you want a zesty kick.
After those cook with the onion and spices for a few minutes, you add the rinsed beans, corn, Rice and salsa.
Once the ingredients are all mixed together, you top it with your shredded cheese, pop it in the oven for about 20 minutes until it’s slightly brown and bubbly and smells amazing!
You can broil it for a few minutes if you want your cheese topping more crispy and brown.
Dinner is done and the kids line up for seconds!
Healthy Mexican Chicken, Rice and Veggie Casserole
- 1 small red onion diced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2-3 cups left-over cooked chicken cubed
- 2 cups Brown Rice cooled
- 1 red bell pepper cored and diced
- 1 zucchini shredded
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies drained (or 1 jalapeño, diced)
- 1 cup corn kernels canned, fresh or frozen and defrosted
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans drained and rinsed
- 12 ounces salsa or enchilada sauce
- 1/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a large oven-safe pot or dutch oven, sauté the onion in olive oil over medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Then add the spices (cumin to oregano) and stir together. Continue to cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the peppers and sauté until cooked, 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic, green chilis and zucchini, season to taste then sauté for another minute.
- Remove from the heat and mix in the chicken, rice, corn, black beans, and salsa.
- Top with the cheese and place in the oven.
- Allow to bake uncovered for 15-20 minutes until the cheese is golden brown and all the ingredients are heated through. Broil for a minute or 2 if you want a crispy browned top.
- Remove from the oven then serve with the avocado, black olives, green onions, sour cream or cilantro.
Discover for yourself the delicious goodness of Uncle Ben’s® Long Grain and Wild Rice featured in this Mexican Chicken and Rice casserole. Its unique blend adds the perfect accent to any meal!
Try these other Healthy Food Recipes for Easy Weeknight Dinners.
You May Also Like:
Join for a FREE 5 Day Series to Simplify Your Life
Plus DIYs, crafts, recipes and helpful tips delivered directly to your inbox!