You can’t resist the salty + sweet goodness of Valentine’s Day Saltine Toffee! This easy and addictive candy recipe is the perfect way to celebrate Valentine’s Day!
Valentine’s Day Saltine Toffee
There is nothing more addicting than Valentine’s Day Saltine Toffee!! It’s often called Valentine’s Day Crack because it’s soooo darn addicting!
It’s got that magical salty + sweet thing going on and I could eat a whole batch by myself! I’d have to wrestle my teenagers for it, but I could definitely do it!
This irresistible Saltine Toffee recipe is my inspiration. It goes crazy on Pinterest during the holiday season because everyone knows the magical powers of Christmas Crack!
Because we can’t wait all-year for Christmas to roll around, I totally think a Valentine’s Day edition is a must! I like to do something sweet for the kids and hubby. (I also love making Valentine’s Day Puppy Chow for them!)
I know it sounds a little strange to put Saltine Crackers in a candy, but this recipe is proof that it’s totally a thing! Oh, the layers of goodness! 🙂
Let’s get to making our Easy Valentine’s Day Treat!
How to Make Valentine’s Day Saltine Toffee
This post contains affiliate links. Disclosure policy here.
This recipe is so simple. The first step, create one layer of saltine crackers on your pan lined with parchment paper or a Silpat mat. Push the crackers tightly together so your caramel has a good base to go on.
If using parchment, make sure your paper extends past your crackers.
Depending on the size of your pan, you’ll use about 1 sleeve of crackers.
Next, combine the sugar and butter in a medium sauce pan and bring to a boil for 3 minutes. (a teeny bit longer if at at higher elevations.) This creates that yummy, buttery toffee!
Immediately after it’s done boiling, spread it on the Saltines, evenly coating all the crackers.
Then, place in a 400 degree Fahrenheit oven for 5-6 minutes. Once out of the oven, spread the chocolate morsels over the top.
When it’s slightly set sprinkle your pink, red, and white candies and other Valentine’s day treats over the top!
Cool, then break into small of medium size pieces and enjoy!!
Valentine’s Day Saltine Toffee With Dark Or Light Chocolate
Dark chocolate seems to be more popular in our house currently, so that’s one way to make this recipe. Semi-sweet or milk chocolate also works. Or, how about white chocolate!
So, use whatever chocolate morsel you prefer or have on hand.
You really can’t go wrong.
The Secrets To the Best Valentine’s Day Crack
- All kinds of Valentine’s Day candy will work to top this recipe. Milk chocolate M&Ms, peanut M&Ms, pink or white sprinkles, or heart-shaped sprinkles are all good choices.
- Semi-sweet, milk or dark chocolate morsels are good for this Valentine’s Day Saltine Toffee recipe.
- This stuff is so sticky, use parchment paper or your Silpat to assemble. (My Silpat mat is my go to baking and treat making kitchen item!! You need one of these so your recipes and cookies turn out amazing!)
- If using parchment, and to prevent any mishaps, make your parchment paper a little bigger than your assembled crackers. Also, make sure your crackers are spaced tightly together.
- Make sure the butter and sugar are truly boiling before you start timing for 3 minutes.
- If you’re at a higher elevation, you may need to cook your caramel a little longer.
The down sideThe upside to Saltine Toffee is that it doesn’t keep long, so is best eaten within a week or so. It can be frozen for 2-3 months.
- Because this recipe is made of mostly butter, using a high quality butter yields the perfect flavor.
Here’s a Video Tutorial to Make Saltine Toffee
If you try this Valentine’s Day Saltine Toffee or any other recipe on Suburban Simplicity, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it went in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food, fun crafts + DIYs and what I’m up to on a daily basis!
Valentine's Day Saltine Toffee
- 4 oz saltine crackers about 1 sleeve
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 cups dark chocolate morsels
- 3/4 cup pink red and white M&Ms
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper or Silpat mat. Place Saltine crackers on the pan and make sure they are touching and the parchment extends past the crackers.
- Combine sugar and butter in a medium sauce pan and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Let boil for 3 minutes. Pour immediately over Saltines making sure all the crackers are completely covered.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle chocolate morsels over the top. Let sit for 5 minutes. Spread melted chocolate and top with Valentine’s Day candies. Refrigerate toffee for 2 hours. Once set, break into pieces. Enjoy!
You Might Also Enjoy These Valentine’s Day Favorites
Join for a FREE 5 Day Series to Simplify Your Life
Plus DIYs, crafts, recipes and helpful tips delivered directly to your inbox!