This easy and savory baked Ham and Cheese Frittata is made with eggs, diced ham, and cheddar cheese. It's a wonderful breakfast, brunch, lunch, or dinner for kids and adults! It's low-carb, high in protein, and only takes 30 minutes to make!
We're not sure what makes a frittata so good. Maybe because it's quiche-like and cooks up so quickly. Perhaps it's because frittatas are an excellent low-carb option for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
Maybe it's because they're easy and inexpensive to make, and we get to use our cast iron skillet, which we love.
Whatever the reason, this baked Ham and Cheese Frittata Recipe never disappoints! We serve it on Christmas morning.
Why This Recipe is Worth Making
Not only is this recipe quick and easy, but it's also a one-pan meal to use up leftover ham and to serve for breakfast or brunch.
What is a Frittata
A frittata is an egg-based Italian dish similar to an omelet or crustless quiche. It is customizable to your preferences for meat, cheese, and veggies.
Really, who doesn't love recipes topped with baked cheese?
Basic Ingredients for Ham Frittata
- Eggs and Egg Whites - using a combo of the two lightens the recipe up.
- Milk - to make it light and creamy. Use heavy whipping cream if you want a richer flavor.
- Dry Mustard - to enhance the flavor.
- Diced or Chopped Ham - or any other breakfast meat like bacon or sausage.
- Cheese - cheddar or whatever cheese you prefer.
- Salt and Black Pepper
See the printable recipe card for exact measurements.
We like to have a base of sweet potato or regular tater tots for this oven-baked Frittata.
This is the best recipe for cooking a crock pot ham to use the leftovers in your frittata.
To start your ham frittata, preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. and place the oven rack in the middle position.
Grab your cutting board and cut your veggies.
We like to use our cast-iron skillet for cooking on the stovetop and then place it in the oven. Any ovenproof skillet is okay to use with this easy frittata recipe.
- Make Egg Mixture. Whisk eggs, egg whites, non-fat milk, and Dijon mustard in a large bowl. Then, season with ½ teaspoon of salt and ¼ teaspoon of pepper. Set this aside.
- Cook Veggies. Heat olive oil in a 10-inch oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. We love to use a cast-iron skillet. Add spinach and sauté until wilted. Then, sprinkle with the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt.
- Mix in Other Ingredients. Toss in potatoes or sweet potato tater tots and diced ham in the pan.
- Combine with Egg Mixture. Pour egg mixture, reduce; reduce heat to medium. Next, top with shredded cheese.
- Cook on Stove Top. Cook for 5 minutes, occasionally running a spatula between the egg mixture and the side of the pan until the eggs are set.
- Bake. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and bake at 400 degrees F. for 15 minutes or until set in the center. Then, broil on high for 3 minutes to brown the top.
Finally, remove from the oven and top with green onions or fresh parsley, and enjoy!
What to serve with a frittata
Slice and serve your ham frittata recipe with fresh fruit, a fresh green salad, or roasted vegetables! Delish!
Other Flavor Combinations
The flavor combinations for frittatas are endless - you can mix and match them to your liking. They're so versatile; you can use whatever you have on hand.
This recipe is for a ham and cheese frittata with a sweet potato base, but any of the following are great in frittatas:
- Cheddar Cheese
- Gruyere Cheese
- Regular Potatoes
- Veggies - like broccoli, spinach, onions, mushrooms, leeks, zucchini, and red pepper
These are all great combos that bake up nicely. Top it with green onions, and wow!
Recipe Tips & Tricks
- Depending on your preference, you can use sweet potato, regular tater tots, or even hash-browned potatoes in this recipe.
- You can also put this frittata recipe into muffin cups for individual servings.
- It would be best to have an oven-safe pan to make this recipe.
- Ham and Cheese Frittatas are an easy make-ahead dish, and frittatas, in general, are great leftovers. They make tasty lunch options for kids and adults.
- Use whatever vegetables or protein you have on hand. Combinations like sausage, spinach, and cheese or bacon, broccoli, and cheddar are wonderful. You could definitely make this vegetarian by not including the meat!
PRO TIP - Use leftover roasted ham in this recipe. You can also use canned ham, sliced sandwich ham, or deli ham.
How Kids Can Help
This is a great way to get the kids in the kitchen! They can help with this recipe by grating the cheese and washing the vegetables.
More Breakfast Ideas
How to Store
You can store any leftover Ham and Egg Frittata in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 4-5 days. Reheat in the microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
Leftover frittatas are great for lunch the next day!
Dairy, such as milk or cream, is a critical ingredient in a frittata. It gives a frittata its delicious creamy and fluffy texture.
Using a well-seasoned cast iron skillet to make a frittata is best since they easily go from stovetop to oven. However, any oven-safe pan will work.
Love this Ham & Cheese Frittata recipe? Please leave a 5 star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card below ⬇️ and/or a review in the comment section further down.
Ham and Cheese Frittata Recipe
- oven-safe pan
- mixing bowl
- ¾ lbs sweet potato tater tots
- 7 eggs
- 5 large egg whites
- ⅓ cup non-fat or low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced ham
- 8 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 2 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites, non-fat milk, mustard, ½ teaspoon of salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat oil in 10-inch oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Add spinach and sauté until wilted. Sprinkle with ¼ salt.
- Toss in potatoes or sweet potato tater tots and ham.
- Pour in egg mixture, reduce; reduce heat to medium. Top with shredded cheese.
- Cook for 5 minutes, occasionally running a spatula between the egg mixture and side of the pan.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan and transfer to the oven.
- Bake at 400 degrees F. for 15 minutes or until set in the center. Broil on high for 3 minutes to brown.
- You can use sweet potato, regular tater tots, or even hash browned potatoes in this recipe, depending on your preference.
- This frittata recipe can also be put into muffin cups for individual servings.
- It would be best if you had an oven-safe pan to make this recipe.