A frittata is an egg-based Italian dish similar to an omelette or crustless quiche. This easy Ham and Cheese Frittata is great for breakfast, lunch or dinner for kids or adults!
This post contains affiliate links. Disclosure policy here.
Ham and Cheese Frittata Recipe
I’m not sure what makes a frittata so good. Maybe because it’s quiche-like and cooks up quickly. Maybe because it’s a good low carb option for breakfast or dinner. Maybe it’s because it’s easy and inexpensive to make and I get to use my cast iron skillet, which I love. Whatever the reason, we like to make this Ham and Cheese Frittata Recipe a lot!
These Mini Quinoa Frittatas are an easy recipe too!
The flavor combinations for frittatas are endless – you can mix and match to your liking. They’re so versatile, I use whatever is on hand. This recipe is for a ham and cheese frittata with a sweet potato base, but bacon, sausage or veggie are great combos that bake up well, too.
Really, who doesn’t love recipes topped with baked cheese?
Tips for Making a Ham and Cheese Frittata
- You can use sweet potato or regular tater tots in this recipe depending on your preference.
- This frittata recipe can also be put into muffin cups for individual servings.
- Ham and Cheese Frittatas are an easy make ahead dish and frittatas in general are great left over. They make tasty lunch options for kids and adults.
- Use whatever vegetables or protein you have on hand. Combinations like sausage, spinach and cheese or bacon, broccoli and cheddar are wonderful. You could definitely make this meatless, too!
If you’ve tried this savory Ham and Cheese Frittata or any other recipe on Suburban Simplicity, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it went in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food, fun crafts + DIYs and what I’m up to on a daily basis!
Ham and Cheese Frittata
- 3/4 lbs sweet potato tater tots
- 7 eggs
- 5 large egg whites
- 1/3 cup non-fat or low-fat milk
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup diced ham
- 8 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites, non-fat milk, mustard, 1/2 tsp of salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat oil in 10-inch oven safe skillet over medium-high heat. Add spinach and sauté until wilted. Sprinkle with 1/4 salt.
- Toss in sweet potato tater tots and ham.
- Pour in egg mixture, reduce; reduce heat to medium. Top with shredded cheese.
- Cook 5 minutes, occasionally running a spatula between egg mixture and side of pan.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan and transfer to oven.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or until set in center. Broil on high for 3 minutes to brown.
If sweet potatoes or tater tots aren’t your thing, you can certainly cook up some hash browns and add them instead 🙂
Slice and serve with a fresh green salad! Delish!
Another easy and inexpensive breakfast or dinner recipe is this Tater Tot Casserole. Yum!
You May Also Like:
Join for a FREE 5 Day Series to Simplify Your Life
Plus DIYs, crafts, recipes and helpful tips delivered directly to your inbox!