This easy Homemade Maple Sausage recipe is a perfectly healthy meal idea for your family. It's preservative-free, freezer-friendly, and tastes amazing!
It's also lower in calories than traditional sausage and convenient to pull from the freezer for a grab-and-go breakfast.
Pleasing everyone at mealtime can be tough! Not with this easy Breakfast Sausage recipe! All the youngsters and even the hubby LOVE it. It contains no nitrates or MSG, which is something we always look for in a meat product.
It's a skinny option to high-fat breakfast sausage, so us moms can enjoy it as well. 😉
We really like this recipe because it freezes well and is easy to throw together on the weekend before the busy week starts. It really is the best breakfast sausage.
These simple ingredients blend to create a fantastic breakfast or breakfast for dinner idea. That's how our family likes to eat it anyway! It's a wonderful combination of pork, turkey, herbs and seasonings, and of course maple syrup!
- Ground Pork
- Ground Turkey
- Pure Maple Syrup
- Salt, pepper, and other spices
How to Make Breakfast Sausage - Step By Step
It's simple, one bowl is all you need to make these maple sausages.
Step 1 - Mix Ingredients
Place all ingredients in the bowl and mix with your hands for about 1 minute, but not too much, or else the meat will get tough.
Step 2 - Place In Freezer
Place sausage in the freezer for about 30 minutes.
Step 3 - Form Patties
Then, form into patties with your hands and get ready to fry or freeze them!
Patties can be stored, covered, in your refrigerator for up to 1 day.
Tips & Tricks
- Try this recipe with lean ground turkey. The patties will be slightly more delicate to work with but taste just as great!
- The sausage patties tend to shrink a little while cooking, so make your patties a little larger than you want your finished product.
How To Freeze
This recipe can be made ahead of time and frozen into raw patties or cooked and then frozen. All you need to do is heat and serve! Easy, peasy!
We like to flash freeze the sausage by laying the patties out individually on a baking sheet lined with wax paper. Freeze them for about an hour, and then, when firm, individually wrap them in wax paper and place them in a storage container until we're ready to get them out of the freezer and use them. This is such a timesaver when it comes to dinner!
Take out as many as desired and leave in refrigerator overnight. Cook as directed.
More Breakfast Recipes
Healthier Breakfast Sundaes - a great recipe for everyday or holidays.
Breakfast Bagel Pizzas - a wonderful and easy meal prep idea!
Sausage & Cheese Frittata - this savory frittata makes a great breakfast or dinner idea!
Best Way to Cook Homemade Sausage
This post contains affiliate links. Disclosure Policy here.
No question, my favorite way to fry up maple sausage is in our Cast Iron Pan.
To cook on the stovetop, add 1 tablespoon cooking oil to a skillet and heat over medium. Once hot, add the sausage patties (working in batches if needed to prevent overcrowding your skillet), and cook 3-5 minutes on each side, or until browned on the outside and cooked through.
This method gives the sausage perfectly browned edges that it tastes so good. This skillet is pretty great for most recipes - it goes from stovetop to oven and cooks evenly whatever you choose to put in it. Love it!
How to Oven Bake
This is a great way to cook all your sausage at one time and avoid splatter.
- To start, preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Next, line a rimmed baking pan with foil and then place patties in the pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Then flip patties over and bake an additional 5-10 minutes until golden brown (or 160 degrees F.). Please note, cooking time may vary depending on the thickness of your sausage and the temperature of your oven.
We Love Hearing From You!
If you try Maple Breakfast Sausage Recipe or any other recipe on Suburban Simplicity, don’t forget to rate the recipe and let us know how it went in the comments below, we love hearing from you! Better yet, use the hashtag #suburbansimplicity if you make the recipe.
Easy Homemade Maple Sausage Recipe
- mixing bowl
- Mixing spoon or spatula
- frying pan
- 1 pound ground pork ((not lean, about 20% fat))
- 1 pound ground turkey
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 Tablespoons bacon grease (ghee, or fat of choice)
- Combine all ingredients in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Chill for at least an hour or overnight.
- Form into patties with your hands.
- Fry until no longer pink insides being careful not to overcook.
In short, this recipe for Maple Sausage is so easy...go ahead and make something healthy and delicious for your family this weekend!
This recipe was originally published on September 9, 2016. We updated with enhanced instructions on April 27, 2021.