This Dark Chocolate Peppermint Bark recipe is an easy and delicious no-bake holiday treat! You'll love this homemade candy! Dark Chocolate and White Chocolate infused with peppermint is the perfect dessert combination.
This layered homemade peppermint bark is a delectable blend of dark chocolate, white chocolate, and peppermint. It's a holiday tradition everyone loves.
What is Peppermint Bark? It's the delectable combination of 4 ingredients, dark chocolate, white chocolate, peppermint extract, and crushed candy canes.
Not only is it delicious to snack on, but it also makes tasty homemade gifts for friends and neighbors. Peppermint screams holiday cheer 🙂
You'll also want to try our Valentine's Day Bark! So delish!
Table of Contents
How to Make - Step by Step Instructions
This Dark Chocolate Peppermint Bark candy is an insanely simple candy to make!
Step 1 - Line pan and Melt Dark Chocolate
First, line a 9x12 pan with foil or parchment paper and break your candy canes into pieces.
Next, melt your dark Chocolate. For ease, we prefer to melt it in the microwave at 30-second intervals until soft, stirring in between. You can also use a double broiler to melt it on the stove.
Then, infuse it with some peppermint extract, place it in your prepared baking pan and let it set in the refrigerator to harden.
Step 2 - Melt White Chocolate and Spread in Pan
Then, melt your white Chocolate with whatever method you used to melt your dark Chocolate. (Stovetop or melt your chocolate in the microwave.) Add your peppermint extract.
Now, pour and spread the white Chocolate over your chilled Dark Chocolate.
Once the white chocolate is spread over the dark Chocolate, finish the recipe with a sprinkle of candy cane pieces evenly distributed over the top.
Step 3 - Break Candy into Pieces
Finally, break to pieces and enjoy! If you prefer more even pieces, cut with a sharp knife.
The layers of dark and white Chocolate and the pop of peppermint from the crunchy candy canes are the perfect combinations.
It's important to note; this recipe is best using high-quality white Chocolate (dark chocolate, too). Brands like Ghirardelli, Lindt, Callebaut, or Valrhona work well. Although they're great for recipes like Cranberry White Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies, we don't advise using white chocolate chips in this Peppermint Bark recipe.
Should Peppermint Bark Be Refrigerated?
Yes, Peppermint Bark should be refrigerated. You can refrigerate your chocolate bark for up to one month, which is perfect during the holiday season! Both to harden it once it's first made and keep it fresh.
Why Is My Peppermint Bark Separating?
The main reason your Peppermint Bark is separating is temperature. To ensure the two types of chocolate "stick" together and don't separate, it's best not to let the dark Chocolate harden completely before layering on the white Chocolate. The dark chocolate should be firm and at room temperature.
More Christmas Treat Ideas
Rolo Pretzel Reindeer - adorable, salty, and sweet!
Marshmallow Reindeer - simple and easy and an excellent activity for the kids.
Brownie Christma Trees - a simple idea that looks amazing on your dessert table.
Almond Roca Candy - the traditional candy that can't be outdone.
Christmas Crack - otherwise known as Saltine Toffee.
Crock Pot Candy - incredible chocolate peanut clusters no one can resist!
Helpful Tips for the Recipe
- Peppermint bark is very versatile recipe. You can use semi sweet chocolate, milk chocolate, or dark chocolate. It all tastes delicious!
- To break the candy canes into pieces, either pulse in your food processor or place them in a Ziploc bag and smash with a kitchen mallet or rolling pin.
- You can also use peppermint candies instead of candy canes in the recipe.
If you want a more polished look for your peppermint bark, after you break the candy canes into small pieces, use a fine strainer and remove all the candy dust. The larger pieces make a more attractive topping.
We Love Hearing From You!
If you try this Chocolate Peppermint Bark Recipe or any other recipe on Suburban Simplicity, don't forget to rate the recipe and let us know how it went in the comments below. We love hearing from you! Better yet, use the hashtag #suburbansimplicity if you make the recipe.
Dark Chocolate Peppermint Bark Recipe
- Baking pan
- Aluminum Foil
- 12 ounces high-quality white chocolate (broken into pieces)
- 12 ounces high-quality dark chocolate (broken into pieces)
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract (more if you prefer a strong peppermint flavor)
- 3 regular size candy canes (crushed (about ½ cup))
- Line a 9x12 pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Smooth out any wrinkles and set aside. Crush candy canes.
- Melt the dark chocolate (use the method you prefer, either a double boiler or microwave.) In the microwave, cook 30 seconds in a heat-proof bowl, stir and repeat until you have a smooth consistency. Stirring occasionally until completely smooth.
- Mix in ¼ teaspoon peppermint extract, then spread the melted chocolate in an even layer in the prepared pan. Place the pan in the refrigerator while you prepare the white chocolate.
- Place the white chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl and follow instructions for melting as above. Once melted, add ¼ teaspoon peppermint extract.
- While it's still slightly soft, remove the pan with the dark chocolate from the refrigerator and spread the melted white chocolate in an even layer on top of the dark chocolate layer. Immediately sprinkle the crushed candy canes on top of the melted white chocolate and gently press into the chocolate to make it stick.
- Refrigerate until completely hard and set, at least 30 minutes. Store the bark in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
- This recipe is very versatile. You can use semi-sweet, milk chocolate, or dark chocolate. It all tastes delicious!
- To break the candy canes into pieces either pulse in your food processor or place them in a Ziploc bag and smash with a kitchen mallet or rolling pin.
This post was originally published in 2016 and again in 2018. We updated it with enhanced instructions and images on December 2, 2020.
This post may contain affiliate links. Disclosure policy here.
Peppermint Bark with Dark Chocolate is so easy and fun to make! It tastes incredible and looks so pretty, especially if you're wrapping it up for gifts!