Reindeer Chow Muddy Buddies are the perfect Christmas treat! This easy Christmas Chex Mix Puppy Chow is a must make during the holidays!
Table of Contents
Reindeer Chow Recipe
It’s time to start belting out Christmas carols and planning your holiday treats!
The one thing that should definitely be on your list is Reindeer Chow. Of course, you’ll want to make a batch to feed Santa’s reindeer because they love reindeer food! But, you’ll need plenty of these addictive little squares way before then!
This festive recipe has been around for years, so we can’t claim it as our own, but we just love it. Whether you call it Christmas puppy chow or Christmas muddy buddies, there are plenty of recipes around the web, and it’s so good, we can’t help but share!
Our Bunny Chow is a huge hit every year, so we know you’ll like this one too!
Reindeer Food with Chex Cereal
So, besides its scrumptious flavor combo (chocolate + peanut butter), the other great thing about this recipe is it’s soooo easy.
In literally 10 minutes (less if you start snacking before it cools), you’ve got a wonderful holiday treat to share at parties or to give as homemade gifts.
Because they come from the heart, Edible Christmas Gifts are the best!
Gluten-Free Reindeer Chow
Reindeer Chow is most commonly made with Chex Mix cereal, and if you use the Rice version, it’s gluten-free! So grab a box, and let’s go! It’s so fun to make a Christmas version of a muddy buddies recipe!
Ingredients to Make A Holiday Muddy Buddy Recipe
- Chex Cereal
- Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips
- Creamy Peanut Butter
- Vanilla Extract
- Powdered Sugar (confectioners)
- M&Ms or other seasonal candy
Other Christmas Dessert Recipes
Decorated Sugar Cookies (3 ways) – cute and easy designs.
Delicious Chocolate Trifle – the dessert that feeds a crowd so well.
Easy Peppermint Bark – Oh, my gosh, our favorite peppermint treat!
Christmas Crack – need we say more. It’s addictively good.
Rolo Pretzel Reindeer – salty, sweet goodness!
How to Make this Delicious Reindeer Mix
This is such an easy recipe; you’ll want to get the kids involved.
First, place your cereal in a large mixing bowl.
STEP 1 – MELT CHOCOLATE, PEANUT BUTTER, AND BUTTER
Next, prep a cookie sheet with parchment or wax paper and set it aside.
Now, it’s time to melt that delicious chocolate and peanut butter concoction, so place your chocolate chips, creamy peanut butter, and butter in a microwave-safe bowl.
Cook for 1 minute and stir. If it’s not completely melted, put it back in for a few more seconds. Once it’s melted, add your vanilla and mix.
STEP 2 – POUR OVER CHEX CEREAL
Now, pour it over your Chex Cereal in your bowl and mix with a spatula until well coated.
STEP 3 – ADD POWDERED SUGAR AND MIX
Take a large plastic zip-top bag and place your powdered sugar inside, then add your chocolatey cereal. Close and begin to shake it up so that all the squares are evenly covered with sugar.
Finally, place the Reindeer Chow on the baking sheet and let it cool to room temperature.
Once you’re ready to serve, add your holiday M&MS or other season candy and chow down!!
Tips to Make the Best Christmas Muddy Buddy Recipe
- Be careful not to over stir your Reindeer Mix when adding the candy; it may crush the cereal.
- A gallon size bag may not be large enough for this recipe. A 2 gallon Ziploc bag is better.
- Unlikely, but you can half the Christmas Puppy Chow recipe if you need a smaller batch.
Christmas Muddy Buddy Substitutions
Fortunately, If you don’t have the exact ingredients in your pantry, you can substitute or add-in any of the following ingredients in your Reindeer Puppy Chow.
- Kettle corn
- Bugles (the chips)
- Multiple kinds of melted chocolate
- Chocolate chips
How To Store Reindeer Puppy Chow
- So your chocolate doesn’t melt, store your Reindeer Chow in an airtight container in the refrigerator. If your house isn’t overly warm, you can store it on the kitchen counter.
- Your Reindeer puppy chow last 1-2 weeks if stored in an airtight containter.
Don’t even think about heading to a Christmas party without a batch of this magical reindeer food! Package it up in a cute tin and share it with friends and family.
We Love Hearing from YOU!
If you try this Reindeer Chow or any other recipe on Suburban Simplicity, don’t forget to rate the recipe and let us know how it went in the comments below, we love hearing from you! Better yet, use the hashtag #suburbansimplicity if you make the recipe.
- Wax or parchment paper
- Large plastic bag
- 9 cups Chex Cereal (any variety will do)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup seasonal M&Ms
- Pour cereal into a large mixing bowl. Next, prep a cookie sheet with parchment or wax paper, set aside.
- Place chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter in a large microwave-safe bowl. Cook for 1 minute and stir. If it's not completely melted, put it back in for up to 30 seconds more. Once it's melted, add vanilla and mix. Pour it over your Chex Cereal and mix with a spatula until well coated.
- Take a large plastic Ziploc bag and place powdered sugar inside, then add chocolatey cereal. Close and begin to shake it up so that all the squares are evenly covered with sugar. Place the Reindeer Chow on the baking sheet and let it cool. Once you're ready to serve, add holiday M&MS or other season candy and chow down!!
- Be careful not to over stir when adding the candy. It may crush the cereal.
- A gallon bag may not be large enough for this recipe. A 2 gallon Ziploc bag is better.
- You can half the recipe if you need a smaller batch.
- Store Reindeer Chow in an airtight container in the refrigerator or on the counter for 1-2 weeks.
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience, which means I may make a small commission if you make a purchase. This is at no additional cost to you. Full disclosure policy here.
You May Also Like: