Crock Pot Chicken Noodle Soup is a healthy, comfort food recipe that everyone needs in their life. Filled with tender chunks of chicken, vegetables, and rich broth, this easy recipe is the best chicken noodle soup you will ever eat!
That first spoonful of this rich broth-based soup is all you need to begin feeling better again. If you are like us, and most people we know, there is nothing as good as a rich chicken noodle soup when you are under the weather.
Is this soup healthy? It depends on the ingredients you use to make the soup, and when you use quality ingredients, yes, it is! It indeed has a healing power to reduce congestion and ease sore throats.
Plus, this slow-cooker recipe makes it easier to enjoy since you don’t have to tend this on the stove all day long. Additionally, it makes a large batch, so you have plenty.
If you want a soup with a bit more heat, check out our version of Chicken Enchilada Verde Soup as an alternative.
You’ll also want to try this classic recipe for Crock Pot Chicken and Potatoes or any of these Healthy Crockpot Recipes! If you want a fast-cooking chicken soup, try this 30-minute Homemade Chicken Soup Recipe.
Can I Make Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup with Rotisserie Chicken?
This recipe starts with a base of raw chicken that slowly cooks with the rest of the ingredients. If you have rotisserie chicken already on hand, you can definitely use it to create this best chicken noodle soup recipe.
Just add it along with the other ingredients and cook the full time to impart more flavor.
For another faster soup recipe, you might try this Instant Pot Tortellini Soup with Sausage recipe.
Can I Cook This Soup Overnight?
Yes! If you decide to cook this chicken soup in the crock pot overnight, put it into the slow cooker as late in the evening as possible. You can cook this on low for 8 hours and add the pasta for about half an hour before serving as directed.
TIP: If you are cooking overnight to cool and refrigerate until your evening meal, you will want to cook the pasta separately on the stovetop and mix it into the soup right before serving.
It will be too mushy if added to the Crockpot overnight.
Another great soup to cook overnight is my Healthy Crock Pot Taco Soup recipe. Everyone loves the rich flavors it provides.
Can I Add Potatoes to This Soup?
Yes! While potatoes are not a traditional addition to chicken noodle soup, many families prefer potatoes over pasta in this recipe.
If that is the case for your family, simply wash and peel potatoes and your carrots and cook along with the rest of the soup for a different twist on a classic.
Can I Make This Soup with Penne?
One of the more popular variations on this chicken soup recipe is to replace the egg noodles with penne.
This gives the recipe a bit more texture and bulk. You can definitely use penne or any other pasta you prefer to make this chicken soup recipe.
Tip: Penne, however, may take a bit longer to soften when added into the slow cooker at the end of cooking.
Table of Contents
How to Make Chicken Noodle Soup in the Crock Pot
This chicken noodle soup is one of the easiest recipes you’ll ever make!
Step 1 – Place Ingredients in Crockpot
First, begin by preparing your chicken breast by trimming off any excess skin or fat.
Next, you will place the chicken breasts into your Crock-Pot and season with salt and pepper on all sides. Top the chicken with onion, carrots, celery, garlic, and remaining spices and herbs.
Step 2 – Add Broth and Cook
Pour the chicken broth over the ingredients and stir gently to combine—cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
Tip: Costo’s Kirkland brand chicken stock is good to have on hand for all recipes that call for broth. It doesn’t have any additives and tastes delicious.
Step 3 – Shred Chicken
Remove the chicken from the Crockpot and shred it. Next, you will remove the bay leaf from the slow cooker and return your chicken to the slow cooker and stir.
Step 4 – Add Noodles
Add the egg noodles and stir, then cook for an additional 20-30 minutes.
Step 5 – Add Lemon
When the pasta is tender, you will add lemon juice (the secret ingredient for the best flavor) and stir, then serve with freshly minced or dried parsley and a bit of black pepper and salt to taste.
Helpful Tips & Tricks
- You can use chicken breast or chicken thigh meat; both taste great and shred well.
- For healthier soup, use low-sodium chicken broth (or stock).
- We like to use wide egg noodles in our crockpot chicken noodle soup because they tend to keep their shape.
- For the best flavor, add the lemon juice at the end of cooking.
- Definitely add the noodles towards the end of cooking, or they will become very mushy.
- This recipe is made for a 6-quart slow cooker.
Can You Freeze This Soup?
- This chicken soup recipe freezes well, so make a big batch and use it all season long! (don’t use frozen chicken for cooking the soup if freezing the finished recipe)
- Store in an airtight container, labeled with the contents and date, in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- To defrost, take it out of the freezer and place it in the refrigerator overnight. Reheat on the stove-top over medium-high heat or in the microwave for 2-3 minutes, or until heated through.
If pressed for time, try this 30-minute Chicken Noodle Soup made from a rotisserie chicken. It’s excellent!
More Crockpot Soup Recipes
Crock Pot Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
- 6-quart Crock Pot
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts (trimmed of excess fat)
- 1 large yellow onion (diced)
- 3 large carrots (peeled and sliced into coins)
- 2 stalks celery (sliced)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt (or more to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 – 9 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 8 ounces egg noodles (wide or extra wide)
- juice from 1 lemon
- fresh or dried parsley (minced (for garnish))
- Place prepared chicken breasts in a 6 quart or larger crockpot and season with a little salt and pepper. Top with onion, carrots, celery, garlic, dried thyme, dried rosemary, salt and pepper, and bay leaves (if using).
- Pour in chicken broth over ingredients. Gently stir to combine. Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours, or HIGH for 3-4 hours.
- Remove chicken from crock pot to a large mixing bowl. or cutting board and shred with two forks. Discard bay leaf (if using), and return the shredded chicken back to slow cooker.
- Add egg noodles and cook an additional 20-30 minutes.
- When finished cooking, add lemon juice and stir. Serve garnished with minced fresh or dried parsley and a sprinkle of black pepper. Add more salt if needed.
- You can use chicken breast or thigh meat, both taste great and shred well.
- For the best flavor, add the lemon juice at the end of cooking.
- Definitely add the noodles towards the end of cooking or they will become very mushy.
- This chicken soup recipe freezes well, so make a big batch and use it all season long! (just don’t use frozen chicken to cook the soup if freezing the finished recipe)