This recipe for the Best Homemade Chicken Soup is so quick, easy, and delicious! It’s ready in under 30 minutes! Learn the simple secret ingredient that makes it taste so good!
What is more comforting than Homemade Chicken Soup? This recipe is so easy yet so tasty and nourishing you’ll be coming back for seconds and maybe even thirds! If you have a cold, it’s got you covered!
And the best part? It’s ready in 30 minutes!
Personally, we like soup at any time of the year, but this recipe is perfect during cold and flu season.
When the kids are sick, they get a healthy dose of its healing qualities ladled into a bowl, and they slurp it up. It has all the classic flavors (carrot, celery, parsley) that remind you of the soup grandma used to make.
If you want to slow cook your soup, try this Crockpot Chicken Noodle Soup recipe. You can make it with raw or rotisserie chicken.
Table of Contents
How to Make – Step By Step Instructions
Grab your chicken, and let’s make chicken soup at home!
Step 1 – Place Chicken in Pot
First, put your roasted chicken in a large pot and put enough water to cover the chicken.
I’m all about grabbing a roasted chicken from the store because it’s so much easier on busy weeknights than roasting my own!
Step 2 – Add Veggies and Herbs
Next, add celery, carrots, onion, garlic, and thyme to the pot with the chicken.
Step 3 – Cook
Slowly bring this to a boil over medium heat. Simmer for 20-25 minutes. It will start to smell amazing right about now 🙂
Step 4 – Shred Chicken
Remove chicken and shred the meat once it’s cooled.
Season the shredded meat with salt and pepper, and place back into the pot. (add pasta if using and cook until done.)
Now, add your fresh squeezed lemon juice and fresh parsley, and your soup is ready to slurp up!
This Chicken Soup is the perfect antidote to colds and cases of flu!
Tips for Homemade Chicken Soup from Scratch
This advice will make your new favorite soup even more delicious, so get your soup spoons ready!
- This recipe is so simple because it starts with a whole roasted chicken. A whole roasted bird provides the right combination of fat, salt, and flavor that You can’t beat.
- Did you notice the secret ingredient that makes it all come together? (Shhh, it’s the lemon added at the end 🙂 )
- The best flavor comes from using freshly squeezed lemon juice, but bottled will work if necessary.
- If you don’t have fresh parsley, substitute 1 tablespoon dried or to taste. You can also add dried rosemary.
- Homemade Chicken Soup is also the perfect backdrop if you want to add noodles or rice. Egg noodles are our favorite when we want a heartier soup, but you can substitute any pasta.
- Other veggies are also good. That’s what makes this soup so versatile. Try corn, parsnips, or green beans.
How To Store
To Refrigerate – place your soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave until warm.
To Freeze – Let your soup cool ( you can chill it in the fridge overnight if needed) and then place it in an airtight container in the freezer. Soups generally last up to three months in the freezer.
Check out some of these other Healthy Chicken Recipes. They make such simple and nutritious weeknight meals!
More Soup Recipes
How to Make Chicken Soup More Flavorful
As mentioned, the secret ingredient in this recipe is lemon. It makes the soup come together perfectly and gives it an enhanced flavor. Even with the simple ingredients, we find this soup very flavorful. However, you may want more flavor.
Other things you can do to make your chicken soup more flavorful are:
- Add more herbs and spices than my recipe calls for. You could even add a bay leaf while simmering to enhance flavor.
- If you like a little kick, stir in a little cayenne pepper.
- We find the soup has a bit more flavor if you use chicken broth vs. water as the recipe base. If you have time, homemade chicken stock is wonderful.
We Like Hearing From You!
If you try this Chicken Soup or any other recipe on Suburban Simplicity, don’t forget to rate the recipe and let us know how it went in the comments below, we love hearing from you! Better yet, use the hashtag #suburbansimplicity if you make the recipe.
Best Homemade Chicken Soup Recipe
- 1 roasted chicken
- 2 quarts water or chicken broth
- 3 stalks of celery (chopped)
- 2 carrots (chopped)
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 bunch fresh thyme
- sea salt and pepper
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 bunch fresh parsley (minced)
- Put the roasted chicken in a large pot and put enough water (or broth) to cover the chicken.
- Add celery, carrots, onion, garlic, and thyme. Slowly bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes. Remove chicken and shred the meat once it's cooled.
- Season shredded meat with salt and pepper, and place back into the pot. (add pasta if using and cook until done)
- Add lemon juice and fresh parsley. Enjoy!
This recipe was originally published on November 8, 2018. We updated it with enhanced instructions on July 20, 2021.