Grab your slow cooker and let’s make this easy Healthy Crock Pot Taco Soup. It’s packed with tons of veggies and delicious robust flavor!
Healthy Crock Pot Taco Soup
It’s wonderful when you can marry two great things in a recipe like nutritious and easy! Healthy Crock Pot Recipes help you do just that. This recipe for Healthy Crock Pot Taco Soup is one of my favorites!
Now matter the season, this soup is always in rotation!
It’s so flavorful, but packs in tons of veggies and is just so satisfying. I love coming home to this meal – and eating it the next day for lunch!
For added crunch and a little more nutrition, I top the cooked soup with shredded cabbage. Don’t knock it till you try it 🙂
Here are a few more Healthy Crock Pot Recipes!
How to Make Healthy Crock Pot Taco Soup
With a few simple steps, your soup will be ready to let your crock pot do all the work!
First, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet or sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add vegetables and cook 3 to 5 minutes, or until soft around the edges. When done, take them out of the pan and place in crock pot.
Next, with same pan, place additional tablespoon of olive oil and cook ground turkey until it is browned. I like to add the chili powdered to let it cook with the meat to bring out the flavor, but you can add it to your crock pot when adding all the other ingredients, too.
Use a spatula to break up the ground turkey into smaller pieces as it cooks. Place the meat in your crock pot.
Add the remaining soup ingredients and herbs in your slow cooker and stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours. However, it’s okay if your soup sits on the warm setting for a while, which makes it great for game day or entertaining!
Serve with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Bonus, this soup will keep refrigerated for 1 week or frozen for up to 3 months.
Tips for Making the Best Healthy Slow Cooker Taco Soup
Depending on your diet and how healthy you want to go, you can top your Crock Pot Taco Soup with any one of these topping:
- Grated Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Shredded Cabbage
- Tortilla Chips
- Chopped Cilantro
- Green Onions
- Lime Juice
There are a few other tips for making the best Crockpot Taco Soup:
- If you’re not into ground turkey or don’t have any on hand, substitute lean ground beef.
- Like a lot of spice? Add more chili powder a 1/2 teaspoon at a time. Or really zest it up by adding minced jalapeño peppers.
- Good news, the mix of vegetable you put in the recipe is entirely up to you. I often use a precut mix from Trader Joes that has everything from jicama to radish and it’s wonderful and such a time saver. Other veggies that would be good: corn, carrots, broccoli or even spinach the last few minutes of cooking.
- Speaking of time saving, you can use precut veggies like onions and celery if your local grocery store carries them.
- This soup is very forgiving, It’s fine if your soup cooks a little longer or the slow cooker switches to the “warm” setting.
- This Taco Soup is really, really good the next day or even the day after.
- Want to freeze your soup? It’s lasts in the freezer up to 3 months. To use, thaw and then bring to a simmer on the stove. Add toppings after it’s thawed and heated.
- The beans are optional. I often leave them out and it’s just as delicious!
Crock Pot Taco Soup Recipe
If you’ve tried this Healthy Crock Pot Taco Soup or any other recipe on Suburban Simplicity, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it went in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food, fun crafts + DIYs and what I’m up to on a daily basis!
Healthy Crock Pot Taco Soup
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 2 cups diced vegetables onions, celery, peppers, cabbage, zucchini, etc.
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 to 3 cups low sodium chicken or beef broth use more if you want a thinner soup
- 1 15- oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 15- oz. can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 4- oz. can chopped green chiles
- 2 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet or sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add vegetables and cook 3 to 5 minutes, or until soft around the edges. Take them out of the pan and place in crock pot.
- With same pan, place additional tablespoon of olive oil and cook ground turkey until it is browned. Use a spatula to break up the ground turkey into smaller pieces as it cooks. Place in crock pot.
- Add the remaining soup ingredients and spices in your slow cooker and stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours. It's fine if the soup cooks a little longer or the slow cooker switches to the "warm" setting.
- Serve with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
It’s soup season! Grab your crock pot and lets get this Crockpot Taco Soup simmering!
It’s perfect for gatherings of friends and serving up on game day!
Here’s a recommend 6-quart Crock Pot:
For convenience, this post contains affiliate links. Disclosure policy here.
You Might Also Like
Join for a FREE 5 Day Series to Simplify Your Life
Plus DIYs, crafts, recipes and helpful tips delivered directly to your inbox!