Mouth-watering Slow Cooker Chicken and Potatoes with Garlic and Parmesan is a complete meal. The tender chicken cooks to perfection with red potatoes infused with a delicious garlic and parmesan flavor.
Table of Contents
Slow Cooker Chicken and Potatoes with Garlic and Parm
Don’t you just love a one-pot meal?
Being able to toss all your ingredients into your slow cooker, and have a complete dinner waiting at the end of the day is so, so nice!
If you’re searching for a delicious meal everyone in your family will love, this recipe for slow cooker chicken and potatoes with garlic and Parmesan is perfect. On top of being simple to make, it’s packed with flavor, so be prepared for your family to be asking for seconds!
If you’re new to slow cooking, check out our Crock Pot Tips and Tricks so your recipes always turn out amazing.
Slow Cooker Chicken and Potatoes
Our favorite part about this easy slow cooker recipe is that it’s a delicious all-in-one meal.
Once you add all your ingredients to the Crock Pot, you can set it and forget it until dinner time. And since the dish is made with both meat and potatoes in one pot, it makes a great all-around dinner.
That means you won’t need to spend any extra time making a side dish to go along with your crock pot main course!
Tip: The key to making this flavorful dish is to sear the chicken thighs before adding them to the slow cooker. Taking a few minutes to brown the chicken adds tons of flavor to the meat and gives the skin crispiness you can’t get cooking it in the slow cooker alone.
This simple step ensures your chicken stays nice and crispy as it cooks in the Crock Pot.
And once you mix that flavorful chicken with the softened red potatoes and creamy parmesan cheese, it results in a delicious meal everyone in your family will devour!
Ingredients for Slow Cooker Chicken and Potatoes
While the name of this dish may give you a pretty good idea of what’s in it, there is a little more to this simple slow cooker recipe than just chicken thighs and baby potatoes.
In addition to those main ingredients, you’ll also need:
- Olive oil – for searing the chicken thighs.
- Salt and pepper – to bring the dish altogether.
- Butter – salted or unsalted.
- Fresh Garlic – gives the dish a little kick of flavor.
- Thyme – fresh is best.
- Parsley – again, fresh is best.
- Parmesan Cheese – freshly grated Parmesan yields the best flavor.
Easy Crock Pot Recipes
Crock Pot Pork Chops and Gravy – always comes out tender and juicy!
Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff – a slow cooker comfort meal family’s love.
Crock Pot French Dip Sandwiches – a restaurant quality meal from your slow cooker!
How to Cook Chicken and Potatoes in the Slow Cooker
Making this slow cooker recipe is so easy!
You’ll only need a few minutes of prep work to get all the ingredients ready to be tossed in the slow cooker. That makes this slow cooker garlic parmesan chicken perfect for a weeknight meal.
Step 1 – Fry the Chicken
Add one tablespoon of olive oil to a large frying/sauté pan. Heat the oil over medium-high heat until warmed.
Add the chicken thighs to the warm oil. Season the thighs with salt and pepper and sear each side until it’s golden brown and slightly crispy. Cook the thighs approximately three minutes per side.
Step 2 – Place Potatoes in Crock
Once the thighs are seared, remove them from the pan and set them aside. Cut the red potatoes into bite-sized pieces and toss them with oil and butter in the crock of a 6-quart slow cooker.
Season the potatoes with garlic, thyme, parsley, salt, and pepper, and top with Parmesan cheese.
Step 3 – Add Chicken to the Crock + Cook
Add the seared chicken thighs to the slow cooker, placing them on top of the seasoned potatoes.
Cover and cook on high for four hours or low for six hours. The dish is finished cooking when the potatoes are tender, and chicken is fully cooked.
Step 4 – Garnish and Serve
To dress up your dinner and add a little more cheesiness, garnish the chicken and potatoes with additional parmesan cheese before serving.
If you have any leftovers, refrigerate in an airtight container and reheat in the microwave.
Optional Add -In and Swaps
- You can add baby carrots to slow cook with the potatoes and chicken.
- If you want, you can swap the red potatoes for sweet potatoes.
Tips for Making Slow Cooker Chicken and Potatoes
- While it may be tempting to cut down on your prep time and skip searing the chicken before adding it to the slow cooker, we recommend taking those extra moments to brown the thighs. In addition to adding more flavor and texture to the meal, it also keeps the thighs from becoming too soft and stringy as it cooks in the crockpot. Searing the chicken thighs provides a protective layer of crispy skin around the outside of the chicken, ensuring they stay juicy and delicious as they cook.
- Grease the pot of the slow cooker before adding the potatoes to keep them from sticking and burning. Potatoes can quickly get stuck on the sides of the slow cooker. Taking a second to grease the pot with nonstick cooking spray is a simple way to prevent your dinner from burning around the edges as it cooks.
- Fresh and dried herbs are interchangeable in this recipe, but using fresh thyme and parsley in your slow cooker chicken and potatoes is the best way to add the maximum amount of flavor to the dish.
- Use freshly grated Parmesan for the best results. While you can purchase grated or shredded Parmesan at the store and make your prep work a little simpler, for the best flavor, it’s a good idea to use fresh cheese. Freshly grated Parmesan has more flavor and less salt.
What To Serve with Chicken and Potatoes?
If you want some greens with your meal, try a simple green salad, roasted Brussels sprouts, or steamed green beans.
Kitchen Equipment Used to Make this Crock Pot Dinner
- 6-quart slow cooker – we like this one.
- Sauté Pan – to brown the chicken before it goes into the crock pot.
We Love Hearing How It Goes!
If you try this slow-cooked chicken and potatoes or any other recipe on Suburban Simplicity then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let us know how it went in the comments below, we love hearing from you! Better yet, use the hashtag #suburbansimplicity if you make the recipe.
Slow Cooker Chicken and Potatoes with Garlic and Parmesan
- Slow Cooker
- frying/saute pan
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (divided)
- 2 pounds chicken thighs (skin on preferably )
- Kosher salt (to taste)
- Freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 pound baby red potatoes (quartered)
- 2 tablespoons butter (softened)
- 5 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons. fresh chopped thyme
- Freshly chopped parsley (to taste)
- 2 tbsp. freshly grated Parmesan (plus more for serving)
- In a large pan over medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add chicken, season with salt and pepper, and sear until golden, approximately 3 minutes per side.
- In a 6-quart slow cooker, toss cut potatoes with remaining 2 tablespoons oil, butter, garlic, thyme, parsley, and Parmesan cheese. Season generously with salt and pepper. Add chicken on top and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours or until potatoes are tender and chicken is fully cooked.
- Garnish with additional Parmesan cheese before serving.