Mouth-watering Slow Cooker Chicken and Potatoes with Garlic and Parmesan is a complete meal. The tender chicken cooks to perfection with red potatoes infused with a delicious garlic and parmesan flavor.
Don't you just love a one-pot meal?
Being able to toss all your ingredients into your slow cooker and have a complete dinner waiting at the end of the day is so, so nice!
If you're searching for a delicious meal everyone in your family will love, this recipe for slow cooker chicken and potatoes with Garlic and Parmesan is perfect. On top of being simple to make, it's packed with flavor, so be prepared for your family to ask for seconds!
If you're new to slow cooking, check out our Crock Pot Tips and Tricks so your recipes always turn out amazing.
Why it's so good
Our favorite part about this easy slow cooker recipe is its delicious all-in-one meal.
Once you add all your ingredients to the Crock-Pot, you can set it and forget it until dinner. And since you make the dish with both meat and potatoes in one pot, it makes a tremendous all-around dinner.
Tip: The key to making this flavorful dish is to sear the chicken thighs before adding them to the slow cooker. Taking a few minutes to brown the chicken adds tons of flavor to the meat and gives the skin crispiness you can't get cooking it in the slow cooker alone.
And once you mix that flavorful chicken with the softened red potatoes and creamy parmesan cheese, it results in a delicious meal everyone in your family will devour!
While the name of this dish may give you a pretty good idea of what's in it, there is a little more to this simple slow cooker recipe than just chicken thighs and baby potatoes.
In addition to those main ingredients, you'll also need:
- Olive oil - for searing the chicken thighs.
- Salt and pepper - to bring the dish altogether.
- Butter - salted or unsalted.
- Fresh Garlic - gives the dish a little kick of flavor.
- Thyme - fresh is best.
- Parsley - again, fresh is best.
- Parmesan Cheese - freshly grated Parmesan yields the best flavor.
Note - You can also use cubed russet potatoes or Yukon gold potatoes.
Optional Add-Ins and Swaps
- You can add baby carrots to slow cook with the potatoes and chicken.
- If you want, you can swap the red potatoes for sweet potatoes.
Step By Step Instructions
You'll only need a few minutes of prep work to get the ingredients ready to be tossed in the slow cooker. That makes this slow cooker garlic parmesan chicken perfect for a weeknight meal.
Step 1 - Fry the Chicken
Add one tablespoon of olive oil to a large frying/sauté pan. Heat the oil over medium-high heat until warm.
Add the chicken thighs to the warm oil. Season the thighs with salt and pepper, and sear each side until it's golden brown and slightly crispy. Cook the thighs for approximately three minutes per side.
Step 2 - Place Potatoes in Crock
Once the thighs are seared, remove them from the pan and set them aside. Cut the red potatoes into bite-sized pieces and toss them with oil and butter in the crock of a 6-quart slow cooker.
Season the potatoes with Garlic, thyme, parsley, salt, and pepper, and top with Parmesan cheese.
Step 3 - Add Chicken to the Crock + Cook
Add the seared chicken thighs to the slow cooker, placing them on top of the seasoned potatoes.
Cover and cook for four hours on high or low for six hours. The dish is finished cooking when the potatoes are tender and the chicken is fully cooked.
Step 4 - Garnish and Serve
To dress up your dinner and add a little more cheesiness, garnish the chicken and potatoes with additional parmesan cheese before serving.
If you have any leftovers, refrigerate them in an airtight container and reheat them in the microwave.
Tip - Browning the chicken before cooking gives it a delicious, caramelized flavor.Erin
Recipe Tips & Tricks
- While it may be tempting to cut down on your prep time and skip searing the chicken before adding it to the slow cooker, we recommend taking those extra moments to brown the thighs. Searing the chicken thighs provides a protective layer of crispy skin around the outside of the chicken, ensuring they stay juicy and delicious as they cook. In addition to adding more flavor and texture to the meal, it also keeps the thighs from becoming too soft and stringy as it cooks in the crockpot.
- Grease the pot of the slow cooker before adding the potatoes to keep them from sticking and burning. Potatoes can quickly get stuck on the sides of the slow cooker. Taking a second to grease the pot with nonstick cooking spray is a simple way to prevent your dinner from burning around the edges as it cooks.
- Fresh and dried herbs are interchangeable in this recipe, but using fresh thyme and parsley in your slow cooker chicken and potatoes is the best way to add the maximum amount of flavor to the dish.
- Use freshly grated Parmesan for the best results. While you can purchase grated or shredded Parmesan at the store and make your prep work a little simpler, using fresh cheese for the best flavor is a good idea. Freshly grated Parmesan has more flavor and less salt.
- We used a 6-quart slow cooker like this one to make the recipe.
What To Serve with Chicken and Potatoes?
If you want some greens with your meal, try a simple green salad, roasted Brussels sprouts, or steamed green beans.
Can you put uncooked chicken in the crock pot?
Yes, you can put uncooked chicken in the crock pot. For this recipe, after you put the potatoes, spices, and cheese in the slow cooker, you add your raw chicken.
Easy Crock Pot Recipes
Crock Pot Pork Chops and Gravy - always comes out tender and juicy!
Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff - a slow cooker comfort meal families love.
Crock Pot French Dip Sandwiches - a restaurant-quality meal from your slow cooker!
Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Thighs - such an easy dinner that takes 10 minutes to prep.
We Love Hearing How It Goes!
If you try this slow-cooked chicken and potatoes or any other recipe on Suburban Simplicity, then don't forget to rate the recipe and let us know how it went in the comments below; we love hearing from you! Better yet, use the hashtag #suburbansimplicity if you make the recipe.
Slow Cooker Chicken and Potatoes Recipe with Garlic and Parmesan
- Slow Cooker
- frying/saute pan
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (divided)
- 2 pounds chicken thighs (skin on preferably )
- Kosher salt (to taste)
- Freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 pound baby red potatoes (quartered)
- 2 tablespoons butter (softened)
- 5 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons. fresh chopped thyme
- Freshly chopped parsley (to taste)
- 2 tbsp. freshly grated Parmesan (plus more for serving)
- In a large pan over medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add chicken, season with salt and pepper, and sear until golden, approximately 3 minutes per side.
- In a 6-quart slow cooker, toss cut potatoes with remaining 2 tablespoons oil, butter, garlic, thyme, parsley, and Parmesan cheese. Season generously with salt and pepper. Add chicken on top and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours or until potatoes are tender and chicken is fully cooked.
- Garnish with additional Parmesan cheese before serving.
- Begin with a clean cooker, clean utensils, and a clean work area. Wash hands before and during food preparation, especially when touching raw meat.
- Keep perishable foods refrigerated until preparation time.