Mini Chipotle Chicken Tostadas are simple to make. Plus, they're zesty, crunchy, and full of bold flavor! The perfect low-calorie, healthy appetizer or snack!
If you're craving a tasty, bite-sized snack or appetizer with a ton of flavor for your next party, get-together, Cinco de Mayo, or the big game, then you have to try these Mexican Chicken Chipotle Tostadas.
They're a healthier alternative to heavy game-day foods.
With their addictive texture and crunch, so they're seriously good! We’ve taken these to parties as an appetizer and even had them for dinner with some tasty sides or a salad.
Here are the fresh ingredients to use.
- Tortillas - flour tortillas work best.
- Avocado - ripe, peeled, and pitted
- Sour Cream - light sour cream or regular
- Tomatoes -
- Lime Juice - fresh is best
- Garlic Cloves -
- Fresh Cilantro
- Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce - these give the recipe its kick!
- Soy Sauce
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Chili Powder
- Shredded Chicken - you could also substitute ground chicken
- Sour Cream
More Muffin Pan Recipes
And you know, we love to use our muffin pan for more than just muffins and cupcakes! Try these recipes.
These quick, easy, versatile mini chicken tostadas are the perfect way to use up any leftover chicken.
Tip: if you're in a hurry, purchase a roasted chicken and shred some chicken for the recipe.
Start by preheating your oven to 450 degrees F.
Step 1 - Cut Tortillas
The first step for making these delicious bites, cut your tortillas into 8 triangles.
Step 2 - Place in Muffin Pan and Bake
Next, spray your cut tortillas with non-stick spray, and then place them in your muffin cups. Bake them in the oven for 6-8 minutes to crisp.
Step 3 - Make Avocado Mixture
Now, mash your avocado, sour cream, tomato, lime juice, garlic, and cilantro together in a small bowl. Salt this mixture to taste and then chill in the fridge.
Step 4 - Make Chicken Mixture
Next, cook ketchup, sugar, chipotle chilis, soy sauce, vinegar, chili powder, and chicken in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat for 8 minutes or until the sauce is syrupy. (Is that a word?!)
Step 5 - Assemble
Finally, top each tostada with avocado mixture, then the chicken mixture. Finish it with a small dollop of sour cream, cilantro, and lime zest!
Tips & Tricks
- 8-10 inch tortillas work best to cut to fit in your muffin pan.
- Make sure you cook the tortillas enough to make them crispy.
- You can use either regular or whole wheat tortillas in the recipe.
- You could definitely top them with our pineapple salsa for a new twist!
- You could make this meatless by taking out the chicken, and you'd be just as satisfied with its zesty flavors.
- You may want to make extra sauce. It's that good!
- Because of the crispy tortilla, these are best eaten soon after making them. However, the chicken adobo sauce mixture can be made ahead and refrigerated until ready to use.
We enjoy these Chipotle Chicken Tostadas during the summer out on the patio. They pair well with chips and salsa and a craft beer! The great thing, though, is that this recipe works for any season. Its bold, smoky flavors pair well with wintery comfort food, too.
More Appetizer Recipes
Let Us Know How It Goes
If you try this Chicken Tostada Recipe or any other recipe on Suburban Simplicity, don’t forget to rate the recipe and let us know how it went in the comments below, we love hearing from you! Better yet, use the hashtag #suburbansimplicity if you make the recipe.
This recipe originally appeared on Real Housemoms.
Chipotle Chicken Tostadas Recipe
- measuring cup
- measuring spoons
- muffin pan
- small bowl
- 3 flour tortillas (8-inch)
- 1 avocado (peeled and pitted)
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup tomatoes (seeded & diced)
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 Tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- ¾ cup ketchup
- 3 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoon chipotles in adobo sauce (chopped)
- 2 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 2 cups cooked chicken (shredded)
- Sour cream (cilantro and lime zest for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Coat both sides of tortillas with nonstick cooking spray or oil. Stack and cut into 8 wedges. Push wedges into muffin cups. Bake for 6-8 minutes or until crispy and golden brown.
- Mash avocado, sour cream, tomato, lime juice, garlic, and cilantro together in a small bowl. Salt to taste and chill.
- Cook ketchup, sugar, chipotles, soy sauce, vinegar, chili powder, and chicken in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat for 8 minutes or until sauce is syrupy.
- Top each tostada with 1 teaspoon of avocado mixture, then 1-2 tablspoons chicken mixture.
- Garnish each tostada with a small dollop of sour cream, cilantro and lime zest.
This recipe was originally published on Suburban Simplicity on January 24, 2018. We updated it with enhanced instructions on September 22, 2021.