Easy Banana Bars with oats are the perfect way to enjoy a healthy breakfast or snack! Real food and authentic flavor! One bowl and one pan are all you need.
There's nothing better than Easy Oatmeal Bars to satisfy your snack craving or mix up your breakfast routine! There Banana Bars with Oats are no exception! Wowza, are they good!
Kids fight with each other to see who can have the last one in their lunch!
The very first recipe on Suburban Simplicity was these Easy Oatmeal Bars. Amazingly, they continue to be in my 10 ten most popular recipes month after month!
They're that popular!
There's something so good about baked oatmeal, and this recipe is soooo simple to make. We see why people love it so much.
Plus, these oatmeal bars are made with no refined sugar and whole grains! Yay, for healthy, nutritious and delicious!
The Benefits of Oatmeal
Did you know? Oats are among the healthiest grains on earth. Cool, huh! They’re a gluten-free whole grain and a great source of essential vitamins, minerals, fiber, antioxidants, and heart-healthy!
We always look for healthy alternatives to pre-packaged food, so when you bake oats into a bar, and it tastes this good--you can’t go wrong!
How To Make - Step By Step Instructions
Can you believe it takes only one bowl and one pan to make this recipe!
The banana flavor in these Banana Oatmeal Bars makes it a classic. Let's get baking!
Step 1 - Line Your Pan & Preheat Oven
In the first step, line your 8×8 pan with parchment paper. This makes it easy to get your bars out when they’re done cooking. You can also spray your pan with a non-stick spray as an alternative.
Then, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
Step 2 - Mix Ingredients
Next, in a large bowl, mash your banana and then combine melted coconut oil and honey (or sugar if using). Add egg, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and vanilla, mixing well. Add in oats and flour and mix until well combined. (Add any optional chocolate chips or chunks. See recipe notes for suggestions.)
Pro Tip: spray your measuring cup with non-stick spray before putting your honey in – it will slide right out!
Step 3 - Bake
Then, place the batter into your lined baking pan. Finally, bake your bars in the oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown. **Don't overcook your bars, or they'll get too dry!
Your whole house should smell absolutely fantastic at this point!
Topping Your Banana Bars
If you want to take your bars to the next level, here's a little combo you must try!!
Take a tablespoon of creamy peanut butter and ¼ cup white chocolate and melt in the microwave. Once it's melted, place it in a Ziploc baggie and snip a corner, and then pipe it onto your Banana Oatmeal Squares.
Oatmeal Bar Perfection!
Recipe Tips & Tricks
- This oatmeal banana bar recipe is best if you use old-fashioned oats, not instant oats. The bars will get very dense otherwise.
- We like using the healthy option of whole wheat flour, but regular flour or a combination will also work.
- These bars are pretty sweet with honey and bananas, but you can substitute brown sugar if you prefer an even sweeter recipe.
- The possibilities for delicious add-ins for these banana bars are endless! Dried fruit, coconut, chocolate, caramel, nuts, and M&Ms will all work!
How to Store
To Freeze: Bake as directed and allow your Banana Oat Bars to cool completely. Cut into bars, then wrap individually in foil or plastic. Place wrapped bars in a freezer bag for later. Thaw for at least one hour before eating.
To Store: Layer the bars between waxed paper in an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for 3 - 5 days. Bring back to room temperature before serving.
Let Us Know How It Goes
If you try these Banana Oat Squares or any other recipe on Suburban Simplicity, don’t forget to rate the recipe and let us know how it went in the comments below, we love hearing from you! Better yet, use the hashtag #suburbansimplicity if you make the recipe.
You can also FOLLOW US on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM, and PINTEREST to see more delicious food, fun crafts, home tips, + DIYs!
Banana Bars with Oats Recipe
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Mixing spoon or spatula
- 8 x 8 baking pan
- parchment paper
- 3 ripe bananas (medium)
- ½ cup melted coconut oil
- ½ cup honey (or ¾ cup brown sugar)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups old fashioned oats (not instant)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (or a combo of white and whole wheat depending on your preference)
- 1 cup chocolate morsels (optional)
- 1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter (optional)
- ¼ cup white chocolate (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl, mash bananas. Next, stir in melted coconut oil and honey. Add egg, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and vanilla, mixing well.
- Add in oats and flour and mix until well combined. (Add any optional mix-ins like chocolate morsels. See notes for suggestions)
- Spread mixture in a parchment-lined 8x8 inch baking dish. Bake in a 350° F oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- Once cooled, you have the option of melting the peanut butter and white chocolate in a small bowl in the microwave for 30 seconds at a time until soft. Then, place it in a sandwich baggie and piping it over the top of the bars. Enjoy!
This post contains affiliate links. Disclosure policy here.
Supplies Used for This Recipe
8×8 Baking Pan
Damien Warban says
I'm allergic to Bananas but I still loved these bars!!!!!!
Lewis Johnson says
That looks delicious!
We seriously can't get enough of this recipe! I love having one on and counter for after school snacks!
Shirley Wood says
These sound absolutely delicious!Thanks for sharing with us at Merry Monday. Hope to see ya next week.