You need to try this delicious and nutritious Easy Chocolate Oatmeal Bars recipe! With no refined sugar, they’re a delectable wholesome oatmeal bar idea that's incredible for breakfast or snack time!
They're soft-baked, and you can make them in one bowl just like these top-rated easy Oatmeal Bars.
We’re a family who LOVES Easy Oatmeal Bars. They’re nutritious, delicious, and super easy to make, so for a grab-n-go breakfast, a lunch bag must-have, or a snack-time munchie, these Chocolate Oatmeal Bars baked from scratch do the trick!
These Oatmeal Bars started the oatmeal bar craze in our house. They're simple to whip together and customize to anyone's preference.
Add fruit, nuts, or cinnamon, and they’re super good. A really great recipe! You likely have all the ingredients in your pantry, so let’s begin.
We also love Peanut Butter Oatmeal Bars for extra protein, which keeps you going all morning or through the afternoon slump if needed.
Why This Recipe Is So Good!
- WHOLESOME INGREDIENTS. If you try to get healthy food in your family's diet, avoiding packaged bars and snacks is essential. That’s why these Oat Bars work so well. With no refined sugar and whole wheat flour, they tend to be a bit healthier than pre-packaged bars with preservatives.
- EASY RECIPE. Seriously, with one bowl and one pan, you can treat yourself to these wonderful and wholesome chocolate chip oatmeal bars.
Seriously, with one bowl and one pan, you can treat yourself to these wonderful and wholesome chocolate chip oatmeal bars.
Step 1 - Preheat & Line Pan
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. (177 degrees C).
The first step is to line your 8×8 pan with parchment paper. This makes it easy to get your bars out when they’re done cooking.
Step 2 - Combine Main Ingredients
Next, in a large bowl, combine melted butter and honey (or sugar if using). Add eggs, baking soda, salt, and vanilla, mixing well. Then, add in oats and flour and mix until well combined.
Now, add ½ cup of chocolate chips and mix.
Pro Tip: spray your measuring cup with non-stick spray before putting your honey in – it will slide right out!
Step 3 - Place in Pan
Then, press half of the crust mixture into your lined baking pan. Add the remaining chocolate chips and top with the other half of the batter.
Step 4 - Bake
Finally, bake your bars in the oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
Your whole house should smell heavenly at this point!
Expert Tips & Tricks
- OATS: It’s best to use Old Fashioned Oats, not Quick Oats, in this recipe.
- FLOUR: We like using the healthy option of whole wheat flour, but regular flour or a combination will also work.
- These bars are not too sweet when made with honey, so bake with brown sugar if you prefer a sweeter recipe.
- Readers have substituted half the butter with coconut oil with good results.
- For convenience, these oatmeal bars freeze well, so you can make them ahead of time and get them out as needed. (see note below for how to best freeze and thaw.)
- SUPPLIES: You'll need an 8×8 Baking Pan and Parchment Paper.
How to Freeze
To Freeze: Bake as directed and allow them to cool completely. Cut into bars, then wrap individually in foil or plastic. Place wrapped bars in a freezer bag for later. Thaw for at least one hour before eating.
To Store: Layer the bars between waxed paper in an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Bring back to room temperature before serving.
Don't forget to follow our tips on how to prevent freezer burn on all your recipes!
Depending on your preference, you can use milk chocolate chips, semi-sweet chocolate, or dark chocolate morsels in this oatmeal bar recipe. Or if supplies are running low, a combination works too!
We recommend cooking Chocolate Oatmeal Bars for 20-25 minutes. However, each oven is different, so watch your bars closely at the end to achieve your desired doneness. We think soft-baked is best.
Love this Chocolate Oatmeal Bar recipe? Please leave a 5 star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card below ⬇️ and/or a review in the comment section further down.
Easy Chocolate Oatmeal Bars Recipe
- 8x8 baking pan
- parchment paper
- 1 cup melted butter (or coconut oil)
- ½ cup honey (or ¾ cup brown sugar)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups old fashioned oats (not instant)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (or a combo of white and whole wheat depending on your preference)
- 1 cup chocolate morsels
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together melted butter and sugar. Add eggs, baking soda, salt, and vanilla, mixing well. Add in oats and flour and mix until well combined. Stir in ½ cup chocolate morsels.
- Press half of the mixture into a parchment-lined 8x8 inch baking dish. Top with other ½ cup chocolate morsels and cover evenly with remaining batter. Bake in a 350° oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- Drizzle with extra chocolate if desired. Enjoy!
Originally published in April of 2018. Updated on May 19, 2020, with enhanced instructions.