You need to try this delicious Easy Chocolate Oatmeal Bars recipe your whole family will love! With no refined sugar, they’re a wholesome and delicious baking idea that’s amazing for breakfast or snack time!
Chocolate Oatmeal Bars
We’re a family who LOVES Easy Oatmeal Bars. Seriously, It takes no time at all for a pan to be devoured! They’re nutritious and delicious and super easy to make, so for a grab-n-go breakfast, a lunch bag must-have or a snack time munchie, these Chocolate Oatmeal Bars do the trick!
These Easy Oatmeal Bars started the oatmeal bar craze in our house. They’re simple to whip together and customize to anyones preference. Add fruit, nuts or cinnamon and they’re super good. We also love Peanut Butter oatmeal bars for some extra protein and that keeps you going all morning or through the afternoon slump if needed – often times this is me 🙂
As I try to get wholesome food in my family’s diet, I do what I can to avoid packaged bars and snacks. That’s why these bars work so well. With no refined sugar, and whole wheat flour, they tend to be a bit healthier than pre-packaged bars with preservatives.
Making Chocolate Oatmeal Bars
You likely have all the ingredients you need in your pantry, so let’s get started.
Seriously, with one bowl and one pan you can treat yourself to these wonderful and wholesome chocolate oatmeal squares. The first step is to line your 8×8 pan with parchment paper. This makes it easy to get your bars out when they’re done cooking.
Next, in a large bowl combine melted butter and honey (or sugar is using) Add eggs, baking soda, salt, and vanilla, mixing well. Add in oats and flour and mix until well combined. Add 1/2 cup chocolate chips and mix.
Pro Tip: spray your measuring cup with non-stick spray before putting your honey in – it will slide right out!
Then, press half of the mixture into your lined baking pan. Add remaining chocolate chips and top with other half of batter. Finally, bake your bars in the oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown. Your whole house should smell wonderful at this point!
Tips for Making Oatmeal Bars with Chocolate
- Depending on your preference, you can use milk, semi-sweet, or dark chocolate. Or if supplies are running low, a combination works too
- It’s best to use Old Fashioned Oats, not Quick Oats.
- I like using the healthy option of whole wheat flour, but regular flour or a combination will also work.
- With the honey, these bars aren’t too sweet, so bake with the brown sugar if you prefer a sweeter recipe.
- Readers have substituted 1/2 the butter with coconut oil with good results.
- For convenience, these bars freeze well, so you can make them ahead of time and get them out as needed. (see note below for how to best freeze and thaw)
How to Freeze Oatmeal Bars
To Freeze: Bake as directed and allow them to cool completely. Cut into bars, then wrap individually in foil or plastic. Place wrapped bars in a freezer bag for later. Thaw for at least one hour before eating.
To Store: Layer the bars between waxed paper in an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Bring back to room temperature before serving.
Supplies Used for This Recipe
This post contains affiliate links. Disclosure policy here.
If you’ve tried these Chocolate Oatmeal Bars or any other recipe on Suburban Simplicity, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it went in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food, fun crafts + DIYs and what I’m up to on a daily basis!
Easy Chocolate Oatmeal Bars
- 1 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup honey (or 3/4 cup brown sugar)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups old fashioned oats not instant
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (or a combo of white and whole wheat depending on your preference)
- 1 cup chocolate morsels
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together melted butter and sugar. Add eggs, baking soda, salt, and vanilla, mixing well. Add in oats and flour and mix until well combined. Stir in 1/2 cup chocolate morsels.
- Press half of mixture into parchment lined 8x8 inch baking dish. Top with other 1/2 cup chocolate morsels and cover evenly with remaining batter. Bake in a 350° oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- Drizzle with extra chocolate if desired. Enjoy!
You May Also Love these Oatmeal Bars
Creating a delicious and absolutely perfect-from-the-oven Chocolate Oatmeal Bar couldn’t be easier!
Join for a FREE 5 Day Series to Simplify Your Life
Plus DIYs, crafts, recipes and helpful tips delivered directly to your inbox!