You need to try this delicious and nutritious Easy Chocolate Oatmeal Bars recipe! With no refined sugar, they’re a wholesome oatmeal bar idea that's amazing for breakfast or snack time!
We’re a family who LOVES Easy Oatmeal Bars. They’re nutritious and delicious and super easy to make, so for a grab-n-go breakfast, a lunch bag must-have, or a snack time munchie, these Chocolate Oatmeal Bars baked from scratch do the trick!
Seriously, It takes no time at all for a pan to be devoured!
These Easy Oatmeal Bars started the oatmeal bar craze in our house. They're simple to whip together and customize to anyone's preference.
Add fruit, nuts, or cinnamon, and they’re super good. A really great recipe!
We also love Peanut Butter Oatmeal Bars for some extra protein, and that keeps you going all morning or through the afternoon slump if needed.
As we try to get wholesome food in my family's diet, we do what we can to avoid packaged bars and snacks. That’s why these bars work so well. With no refined sugar and whole wheat flour, they tend to be a bit healthier than pre-packaged bars with preservatives.
Table of Contents
How to Make - Step By Step Instructions
Seriously, with one bowl and one pan, you can treat yourself to these wonderful and wholesome chocolate chip oatmeal bars.
Step 1 - Preheat & Line Pan
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
The first step is to line your 8×8 pan with parchment paper. This makes it easy to get your bars out when they’re done cooking.
Step 2 - Combine Main Ingredients
Next, in a large bowl, combine melted butter and honey (or sugar if using). Add eggs, baking soda, salt, and vanilla, mixing well. Then, add in oats and flour and mix until well combined.
Now, add ½ cup chocolate chips and mix.
Pro Tip: spray your measuring cup with non-stick spray before putting your honey in – it will slide right out!
Step 3 - Place in Pan
Then, press half of the crust mixture into your lined baking pan. Add remaining chocolate chips and top with the other half of the batter.
Step 4 - Bake
Finally, bake your bars in the oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
Your whole house should smell heavenly at this point!
How Long to Cook Homemade Chocolate Oat Bars?
We recommend cooking Chocolate Oatmeal Bars for 20-25 minutes. However, each oven is different, so watch your bars closely at the end to achieve your desired doneness. We think soft-baked is best.
Can You Use Dark Chocolate?
Depending on your preference, you can use milk chocolate chips, semi-sweet chocolate, or dark chocolate morsels in this recipe.
Or if supplies are running low, a combination works too!
Tips & Tricks
- It’s best to use Old Fashioned Oats, not Quick Oats, in this recipe for Oatmeal Bars with Chocolate.
- We like using the healthy option of whole wheat flour, but regular flour or a combination will also work.
- These bars are not too sweet when made with honey, so bake with brown sugar if you prefer a sweeter recipe.
- Readers have substituted ½ the butter with coconut oil with good results.
- For convenience, these oatmeal bars freeze well, so you can make them ahead of time and get them out as needed. (see note below for how to best freeze and thaw.)
How to Freeze
To Freeze: Bake as directed and allow them to cool completely. Cut into bars, then wrap individually in foil or plastic. Place wrapped bars in a freezer bag for later. Thaw for at least one hour before eating.
To Store: Layer the bars between waxed paper in an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Bring back to room temperature before serving.
Don't forget to follow our tips on how to prevent freezer burn on all your recipes!
Supplies Used for This Recipe
This post contains affiliate links. Disclosure Policy here.
We Like Hearing from YOU!
If you try this Chocolate Oatmeal Bar Recipe or any other recipe on Suburban Simplicity, don’t forget to rate the recipe and let us know how it went in the comments below; we love hearing from you! Better yet, use the hashtag #suburbansimplicity if you make the recipe.
Easy Chocolate Oatmeal Bars Recipe
- 8x8 baking pan
- 1 cup melted butter
- ½ cup honey ((or ¾ cup brown sugar))
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups old fashioned oats (not instant)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour ((or a combo of white and whole wheat depending on your preference))
- 1 cup chocolate morsels
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together melted butter and sugar. Add eggs, baking soda, salt, and vanilla, mixing well. Add in oats and flour and mix until well combined. Stir in ½ cup chocolate morsels.
- Press half of the mixture into a parchment-lined 8x8 inch baking dish. Top with other ½ cup chocolate morsels and cover evenly with remaining batter. Bake in a 350° oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- Drizzle with extra chocolate if desired. Enjoy!
Originally published in April of 2018. Updated on May 19, 2020, with enhanced instructions.
More Oatmeal Bars You'll Love
Creating a delicious and absolutely perfect-from-the-oven Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Bar couldn't be easier!