Looking for an easy red, white and blue treat for your Memorial Day or 4th of July BBQ, picnic, or potluck? Then you have to try this simple chocolate-dipped Patriotic Oreos recipe! Pretty and delicious!
Who likes to add a little something special to the theme of a party by bringing or serving a recipe that ties in perfectly? Then you’ll love this Patriotic Oreos recipe!! The perfect summer cookie!
What better way to honor those who have served our country.
4th of July Oreos are so easy to make yet look adorable. AND, they’re usually gone within minutes. You could say they’re the life of the party!
If you need Tips for Hosting the Best 4th of July Party, we have all the deets!
Table of Contents
This post contains affiliate links. Disclosure policy here.
- Wilton Candy Melts in Red, White, and Blue
- Oreo Cookies – you can use regular or Double Stuf Oreos
- Assorted Sprinkles – we use small stars and red sprinkles.
- 3 Microwave-Safe bowls – one for each color of chocolate
- Wax paper – or Silpat baking mat for a non-stick surface to allow your cookies to harden on.
- Snack Size Ziploc Bags – optional for drizzling cool designs on your cookies.
How to Make Oreos Dipped In Chocolate – Step By Step
- Prepare – Lay out your wax paper on a hard surface.
- Start Melting Chocolate – Fill a microwave-safe bowl with white candy melts, and melt them in the microwave (using 20-second increments and stirring afterward).
- Dip – Dip Oreo cookie into the white candy, allowing the candy to cover the cookie completely, and then lay the cookie on your sheet of wax paper to cool and firm up. (Or half the cookie if you want a different design.)
- Add Decorations – Add sprinkles while the candy melt is still wet (if desired).
- Add More Decorations – Drizzle with chocolate if desired. (The easiest way is to put the candy melts in a plastic baggie and melt them in the microwave. Then, snip a corner and drizzle!)
Now, repeat this process for all the cookies you plan to make! Allow your cookies to dry completely before serving or storing.
Tip: If adding sprinkles, You must do this while the white chocolate (candy melts) is still soft.
How the Kids Can Help
Since the recipe is so simple, kids are great helpers when it comes to making Patriotic Oreos. Be prepared, though; some cookies may disappear before they’re covered in chocolate or immediately thereafter 🙂
Depending on their age, kids can dip the cookies in the chocolate, or you can dip them and then have them decorate them.
Tip: This could also be a fun activity to keep the little one’s entertained while having friends and family over.
Tips & Tricks
- You can dip a full cookie or just half for different design options.
- If you want to add a drizzle of color, melt 6-8 candy melts in a snack-size Ziploc bag. The candy melts a little faster in the bag than in the cup, so microwave it in 10-second increments, kneading the bag in between. Snip a tiny piece off the corner of the bag and then drizzle the melted candy over the Oreo cookies.
- If you’re feeding a crowd, definitely double or triple the recipe.
Tip: These would be perfect for munching while watching the Olympics!
How to Store
These cookies can be stored in an airtight container on the counter for about a week. This is the perfect make-ahead recipe.
More Summer Dessert Recipes
Strawberry Shortcake in a Jar – this mason jar dessert is so fun to have out at picnics, cookouts, and BBQs!
Brownie Strawberry Shortcake – this dessert works well for patriotic celebrations since it’s also red, white, and blue!
Blueberry Tart – this heavenly puff pastry dessert looks impressive but is so easy to make!
More Red, White, and Blue Desserts
Berry Icebox Cake – a simple and summery dessert everyone loves.
Brownie Strawberry Shortcake – one pretty and easy dessert recipe to whip up for friends and neighbors.
Patriotic Fudge – 3-ingredient dessert kids go crazy for!
We Love Hearing About Your Recipe!
If you try this Patriotic Oreos recipe or any other recipe on Suburban Simplicity, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let us know how it went in the comments below; we love hearing from you! Better yet, use the hashtag #suburbansimplicity if you make the recipe.
Patriotic Oreos Recipe
- wax paper
- small bowl
- 12 double-stuffed Oreos
- 1 1/2 cups Wilton white candy melts
- 1/2 cup Wilton red candy melts
- 1/2 cup Wilton royal blue candy melts
- Red, white, and blue Sprinkles, Non-Pariels, and Jimmies
- Lay out wax paper on a hard surface.
- Fill a microwave-safe bowl with white candy melts, and melt them in the microwave (using 20-second increments and stirring afterward).
- Dip Oreo cookie into the white candy, allowing the candy to cover the cookie completely, and then lay the cookie on your sheet of wax paper to cool and firm.
- Add sprinkles while the candy melt is still wet (if desired).
- Repeat the process for each additional color of candy melts you choose to use.
- Drizzle with chocolate if desired. (The easiest way is to put the candy melts in a plastic baggie and melt them in the microwave. Then, snip a corner and drizzle!)
It’s easy, so grab a bag of cookies and some candy melts and make some Patriotic Cookies today. They’re great for festive holidays like Memorial Day or the 4th of July, or anytime you want a colorful, tasty treat that party-goers love.