You'll love this Easy Summer Berry Icebox Cake! Layers of sweet whipped cream with a hint of lemon, graham crackers, and fresh berries come together to make a delicious summer dessert!
Try out other summer favorites! Brownie Strawberry Shortcake, easy No-Bake Banana Pudding Pie, and Easy Strawberry Shortcake in a Mason Jar.
The sun's out, and it's time to start thinking about all those ripe, juicy berries waiting to be made into something special. This easy Icebox Cake With Graham Crackers is it!
If you have 20 minutes to prep this easy icebox cake recipe, you can pop it in the fridge and enjoy its simple flavors and light creamy texture when you're ready to serve!
No need to turn on your oven!
We love to serve this Summer Cake because it makes the perfect patriotic dessert. Just create a flag pattern on top with your fresh berries!
Ta-da! You have a festive red, white and blue cake.
These Easy Summer Appetizers are perfect this time of year too!
How to make an icebox cake
If you haven't tried an icebox cake before, this is a good one to start with. It tastes wonderful, but it's also pretty and looks like you worked so hard to put it together.
No one needs to know how simple it is 🙂
- Start by whipping your cream, and when soft peaks form, add your sugar, vanilla, and lemon zest until stiff peaks form. Set ½ cup aside. In a separate bowl, mix your cream cheese and then fold in your whipped cream.
- Now it's time to layer. Layer one is a small amount of whipped cream mixture.
- Layer two is graham crackers.
- Layer three is half of your remaining whipped cream mixture.
- Layer Four is ⅓ of your berries.
- Layer Five is another layer of graham crackers.
- Layer Six is the other half of your whipped cream mixture, followed by one more layer of graham cracker, then your reserved whipped cream.
Finally, top it off with the prettiest fresh berries!
Place your no-bake icebox cake in the refrigerator for 4 hours or overnight, covered in plastic wrap. Take it out when ready to serve!
Recipe Tips & Tricks
- Ensure you wash and let the berries dry before putting them in your cake. The excess moisture can make the berry juice run and turn the creamy white layers pink.
- You can replace the cream cheese with prepared cheesecake or vanilla pudding. Just mix it with the 3 cups whipped cream as you would the cream cheese.
- Mix and match your berries for this no-bake berry icebox cake. Any combination will work in this recipe!
- Use an 8x8 Pan. this one is perfect for baking chicken or making an icebox cake!
Other Topping Ideas
Make your own creation and add an optional topping if you like! Ideas include:
- crushed graham cracker crumbs
- chopped nuts
- a drizzle of chocolate (white or milk)
- powdered sugar for dusting.
More Summer Desserts
Brownie Strawberry Shortcake
Strawberry Lemonade Cookies
Strawberry Lemon Cookie Cups
No-Bake-Cherry Cheesecake Pie
We Love to Hear from YOU!
If you try This no-bake Berry Dessert Cake or any other recipe on Suburban Simplicity, don’t forget to rate the recipe and let us know how it went in the comments below; we love hearing from you! Better yet, use the hashtag #suburbansimplicity if you make the recipe.
Hungry for more? FOLLOW US FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM, and PINTEREST to see more delicious food & home tips!
Easy Summer Berry Icebox Cake Recipe
- Electric Mixer
- medium mixing bowl
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Spatula or cooking spoon
- 8x8 baking pan
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream (or can use 3 ½ cups of your favorite whipped topping like Cool Whip)
- 8- ounce package cream cheese (softened to room temperature)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 12 graham crackers
- 2 ½ cups mixture of fresh blackberries (raspberries blueberries, and hulled and sliced strawberries, divided leaving the prettiest slices for the top)
- Whip heavy whipping cream in a stand mixer or a bowl with a hand mixer just until it holds soft peaks. Add powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and lemon juice and whip to combine until stiff peaks form. Do not over mix. Set aside ½ cup whipped cream for topping.
- In a separate large bowl, beat softened cream cheese until smooth. Fold in the 3 cups of whipped cream or Cool Whip.
- To assemble, spread a thin layer of the cream mixture in the bottom of an 8 x 8 pan. Place 3 graham crackers across one end of the pan and then break up 1 or 2 more crackers as needed to fill in the gaps to cover the entire layer. Spread half of the cream mixture on top. Use approximately ⅓ of the mixed berries to create the next layer of the cake.
- Top with another layer of graham crackers, breaking them as needed to make them fit. Spread the remaining cream mixture over the top and add another ⅓ the berries.
- Top with the final layer of graham crackers. Spread the reserved ½ cup freshly whipped cream (or Cool Whip) evenly over the top.
- Place the last layer of the prettiest mixed berries reserved for the top. Sprinkle with graham cracker crumbs if desired.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight until the graham crackers have softened completely. Serve chilled and add optional toppings if desired.
This recipe originally appeared on The Slow Roasted Italian.
Enjoy this easy and gorgeous icebox cake idea all summer long!
It's hard to believe something so easy could taste so amazing! Tried it with strawberries and blueberries, next time I want to add raspberries to the mix.
Erin Henry says
We know! So easy, yet so tasty! The perfect dessert, especially when the weather is warm!
We make this all summer long!! It's already been so hot, that we are making the cool desserts now. Love the layers & berries!
Allyson Zea says
This cake is perfect for warmer months! It is so tasty!
Erin Henry says
We agree, so tasty, but also so easy! Enjoy!
Looks good! When using cool whip, do I still add the powdered sugar?
Hi Christina, yes, the recipe calls for additional powdered sugar. If you don't want it to be as sweet, you could leave it out.
Lewis Johnson says
That looks incredible.
Thanks! It's a great recipe! Love how easy it is!