This easy no-bake banana pudding pie is rich, creamy, and full of banana flavor. It's a 15-minute quick dessert that's always a hit! No-bake pies are the best kind of easy recipe, especially when it comes to summer and keeping your kitchen cool.
You will love this easy no-bake dessert if you're a classic banana cream pie fan. It has all the flavors of banana pudding but in pie form. You make it with half and half, vanilla pudding mix, fresh bananas, whipping cream, and a graham cracker crust.
It's thick, creamy, and so delicious.
If you love creamy, you'll also want to try this mouth-watering No-Bake Cherry Cheesecake!
The hardest part about this recipe is waiting for the pie to set up in the fridge. But, trust us, it's worth the wait.
This easy banana cream pie is straightforward to make using only simple ingredients.
- Vanilla instant pudding- ensure you don't get the pudding you must cook. Instant makes this recipe so simple!
- Half & half - this gives the pudding filling a creamy texture and rich flavor. Don't use low-fat or almond milk. The pudding won't set correctly.
- Fresh bananas, sliced - if possible, find some bananas that have a few brown speckles but aren't totally brown. This means they're ripe and have a sweeter flavor.
- Graham cracker crust - premade or homemade.
- Heavy Whipping cream - we like to make fresh whipped cream, but if you prefer frozen whipped topping, like Cool Whip, that's a great option.
- Granulated sugar - to slightly sweeten the whipped cream.
- Vanilla extract - vanilla extract gives the whipped cream a hit of vanilla flavor.
- Crushed vanilla wafers, for garnish - cookies are optional, but bring the whole dessert together into something special.
How to make a banana cream pie with pudding
This no-bake homemade banana pudding pie is perfect for summertime gatherings, potlucks, or anytime you need an easy dessert. It's always a hit with family and friends!
STEP ONE - THE CRUST. We like to use a store-bought graham cracker crust to save time, but you could make your own crust with graham crackers if you prefer.
STEP TWO - MAKE PUDDING FILLING. Next, whisk together vanilla-flavored instant pudding and half & half in a large bowl as directed on the package instructions (usually 1- 2 minutes). This makes a nice creamy pudding.
STEP THREE - ADD BANANAS. Add fresh banana slices & arrange them in a single layer over the bottom of the pie crust.
STEP FOUR - ADD PUDDING TO THE CRUST. Pour the pudding mixture over the bananas evenly. Use a spatula to make sure the pudding layer is even.
STEP FIVE - MAKE WHIPPED CREAM TOPPING. Using an electric mixer or whisk, beat whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla together in a small bowl. You'll want to beat the ingredients until soft peaks form.
STEP SIX - TOP WITH WHIPPED CREAM. Top the pudding mixture with the whipped cream. (You can also use frozen whipped topping like Cool Whip, that's thawed). Sprinkle the top of the pie with vanilla wafer crumbs.
COVER AND REFRIGERATE. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours until set before serving.
To serve, slice the pie into individual slices and garnish each piece with additional vanilla wafer crumbs or whole cookies.
Recipe tips and tricks
- Use a pre-made graham cracker crust to save time. Feel free to make your own graham cracker crust if you'd like
- Don't use skim milk for your pudding filling. It doesn't produce as rich and flavorful a dessert and tends to get watery.
- To keep your bananas from browning. Make sure to cut your bananas right before putting them in the crust, and then immediately top them with the pudding filling. Since they won't be exposed to air, they shouldn't brown. If you're topping your pie with extra bananas, try coating them with a bit of lemon juice to prevent browning.
Should you refrigerate banana cream pie?
Yes, you should refrigerate banana cream pie because it contains dairy, which shouldn't be left out for more than one hour.
Pie topping ideas
There are so many yummy toppings that you can use for the top of the pie. Depending on what you choose, you can change up this no-bake pie to fit your mood using what you have on hand.
- Chocolate shavings
- Banana slices (use lemon juice so they don't become brown)
- Whole vanilla wafer cookies
- Toasted coconut flakes
- Chocolate chips, melted and drizzled over the top
- Whipped topping with a sprinkle of cinnamon
- Chopped nuts sprinkled on top
- Fresh berries
- A scoop of ice cream
- White chocolate chips
How to store
This no-bake banana pudding pie needs to be stored in the fridge. We recommend covering your no-bake pie recipe with plastic wrap instead of aluminum foil to help keep it fresh.
It will last 3-4 days in the fridge but is best served within the first two days.
Pro Tip: put a few toothpicks in the top of the pie to keep the plastic wrap from sitting directly on your pie, so the whipped cream doesn’t get flattened.
Make ahead instructions
If you want to make this dessert ahead of time, you can prepare it up to 24 hours early, but don't add the whipped cream topping until you're ready to serve it.
This no-bake banana cream pie recipe is guaranteed to be a hit! Enjoy! Give it a try, and let me know what you think of this easy dessert in the comments below or a star rating.
No-Bake Banana Pudding Pie Recipe
- large bowl
- medium bowl
- electic mixer
- Spatula or cooking spoon
- 1 3.4 oz box instant vanilla pudding
- 2 cups half & half
- 2 medium ripe bananas (sliced)
- 1 9-inch prepared graham cracker crust (any brand)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream or 8 oz frozen whipped topping (thawed)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoon crushed vanilla wafers (for garnish)
- Whisk together vanilla pudding and half & half in a large bowl according to package instructions (usually 1- 2 minutes). Set aside for a minute.
- Cut bananas into slices and arrange them in a single layer in the bottom of the graham cracker pie crust.
- Evenly cover bananas with pudding mixture.
- In a medium bowl with an electric mixer or whisk, beat whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla together until soft peaks form.
- Top the pudding mixture with the whipped cream. (You can also use frozen whipped topping that’s thawed). Sprinkle the top of the pie with vanilla wafer crumbs.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours in the refrigerator until set before serving.
- To serve, slice the pie into individual slices and garnish each piece with additional vanilla wafer crumbs or whole cookies.
Food safety tips
- Always refrigerate perishable food within 2 hours (1 hour with dairy and when the temperature is above 90 °F).
- Always wash hands with soap and warm water for 20 seconds before and after handling food.