This Baked Lemon Chicken Recipe is easy, light, and so flavorful you want to make it again and again! A simple weeknight meal your family will rave about, yet fancy enough to entertain guests.
This recipe originally appeared on Real Housemoms
Easy Baked Lemon Chicken Recipe
Is it just me, or does life seem like it keeps getting busier and busier?!? For me, weeknights definitely call for easy recipes everyone around our table will eat. This Baked Lemon Chicken sounds a little fancy but is so flavorful and simple you'll want to put it on your meal plan week after week - it's that easy!
This dish is one of our all-time favorite recipes, whether as comfort food for the family or to serve when friends are over. It tastes wonderful any time of year.
With the addition of potatoes, it's a meal waiting to happen! The lemon, chicken, and potatoes come together to create the perfect flavor combination.
It doesn't get much easier than turning your oven on, cutting up your onions and lemon, placing all your ingredients in a baking pan, and enjoying a delicious and hearty dinner in about an hour.
The other great thing about this easy recipe is minimal dishes. If you know me, then you know I don't exactly love doing dishes, so one-pot meals like this Mexican Chicken, Rice and Veggie Casserole are always in rotation.
How to Make Baked Lemon Chicken
Once you put some non-stick spray in your baking pan, you just need to set your chicken pieces (skin side up is best), yummy potatoes, sliced onion, and lemon slices in your pan.
Next, mix up a yummy concoction of lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, thyme, crushed red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper. Pour this mixture over your chicken and potatoes, evenly coating all ingredients. I just love the lemon and garlic combo!
Finally, place it in the oven and bake uncovered for about 1 hour, or until chicken and potatoes are fully cooked. It's that easy!! Grabs some veggies, and dinner is done!
Tips for Making Lemon Chicken
- This Lemon and Garlic Chicken Recipe calls for skin-on chicken. You may not be one who cares for poultry skin but cook with the skin-on if you can. Cooking with the skin on not only protects the meat from drying out (we aren't fans of dry chicken around here) but more importantly, the chicken gets bathed with the rich flavor from the skin while it cooks! Mouth-watering good!
- For convenience, you can definitely prep this recipe the night before and pop it in the oven when it's time for dinner or when you get home from work.
- In a pinch, you can use dried herbs. However, because dried herbs are generally a bit more potent and concentrated than fresh herbs, you'll need approximately 1 teaspoon of dried thyme in the recipe.
- This chicken dish pairs well with sautéed asparagus, green beans, or broccoli.
Baked Lemon Chicken
- 6-8 pieces of sin-on (bone-in chicken or one whole chicken cut up)
- 1 pound mini red potatoes (washed)
- ½ onion (sliced)
- 2 lemons (1 sliced and 1 juiced)
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme plus sprigs for garnish
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spray a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish with cooking spray. Arrange chicken pieces (skin side up), potatoes, sliced onion and lemon slices in pan.
- In a small bowl, mix together lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, thyme, crushed red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper. Pour mixture all over chicken and potatoes, coating all ingredients evenly.
- Bake uncovered for about 1 hour, or until chicken and potatoes are fully cooked. Chicken is done when it reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
Kitchen Supplies Used to Make Lemon Chicken
This post contains affiliate links. Disclosure policy here.
Baking Pan - perfect for all your savory and sweet baking needs! Plus, it transfers from oven to table with ease!
Measuring Cup - for measuring and pouring.
Meat Thermometer - get perfect meat every time with this handy gadget!
This Lemon Chicken recipe is seriously foolproof and delicious. Enjoy!
Other Delicious Chicken Recipes