This gooey and rich chocolate Crockpot Lava Cake is divine and so easy to make! It’s the perfect homemade slow cooker dessert recipe the entire family will love.
Crockpot desserts like this cake and Slow Cooker Apple Cake are recipes you'll make all the time!
There’s nothing better than a fudgy, decadent chocolate cake. This slow cooker lava cake is made from scratch (no cake mix or instant pudding) but is so easy you’ll make it all the time.
Bonus! No baking skills are required!
Here’s the secret to this slow cooker cake. The cake batter bakes over the topping, creating a perfect cake with moist, gooey chocolate lava underneath. It's one decadent dessert!
Another great thing about this recipe is that it’s a family-size crockpot cake, so it feeds a crowd perfectly.
If you're new to slow cooking, check out our CROCK POT TIPS AND TRICKS.
This crockpot molten chocolate cake without pudding uses pantry staples to “bake” up a moist and indulgent cake. It's definitely for chocolate lovers!
For the Chocolate Cake Batter
These simple ingredients help make a crock pot chocolate lava cake with a gooey center.
- all-purpose flour
- granulated white sugar
- cocoa powder
- baking powder - fresh baking powder is best.
- butter - melted
- pure vanilla extract - good quality vanilla makes a big difference.
For the Topping
- granulated white sugar
- brown sugar
- cocoa powder
- hot water
Find the full recipe and instructions in the printable recipe card below.
PEANUT BUTTER - Add a few tablespoons of creamy peanut butter on top of the cake batter before adding the topping mixture and pouring the hot water over the top. You could also stir in up to ½ cup of mini peanut butter cups or peanut butter chips to the cake batter.
MARSHMALLOWS - Add a cup of mini marshmallows on top of the cake batter before adding the topping mixture, and pour the hot water over the top.
CHOCOLATE CHIPS - For more chocolate flavor, fold in ½ cup of chocolate chips to the cake batter like dark chocolate chips, milk chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, or semi-sweet chocolate chips.
CAKE MIX - Swap the dry ingredients in the homemade cake mix with a box of your favorite chocolate cake mix to make this recipe even easier. Try Devil’s Food cake mix or chocolate fudge cake mix. Yum!
How to Make a Slow Cooker Lava Cake from Scratch
To Make The Cake Batter:
- PREP - Gather your ingredients and spray the inside of a 6-quart crock pot with nonstick cooking spray.
- MIX CAKE INGREDIENTS - Whisk together the milk, melted butter, and vanilla in a large bowl. Then, add the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt and mix until just combined.
- ADD TO CROCKPOT - Pour the batter into the bottom of the crock pot.
To Make the Topping:
- MIX TOPPING INGREDIENTS - In a medium bowl, mix the sugar, brown sugar, and cocoa powder until combined.
- TOP THE CAKE BATTER - Sprinkle evenly over the cake batter in the crockpot.
- ADD HOT WATER - Pour the hot water over the cake batter and topping. DO NOT STIR.
- COOK - Cover and cook on HIGH for 2.5 to 3 hours or LOW for 4 hours. The cake is done when the top is dry, and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- SERVE - Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream, and don’t forget to spoon some of the chocolate sauce from the bottom of the slow cooker over the top.
You can add chopped nuts on top, a drizzle of chocolate sauce (or caramel sauce), or dress it up with fresh berries. We think the best way to eat it is with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
Pro Tip: Serve it with peppermint ice cream during the holidays!
Recipe Tips & Tricks
- This dessert is extra gooey, so it’s important to spray the crock with non-stick cooking spray to avoid a sticky mess. You can also line the inside of the crock with parchment paper.
- Make sure not to stir the topping and batter with the hot water, or the recipe won't turn out right.
- Scoop and serve. Unlike a traditional cake, you will not be able to remove this slow cooker chocolate lava cake in its entirety. To serve, just scoop out individual portions into a bowl.
- All slow cookers cook differently, so cooking times are always a basic guideline. Recipes should always be tested first in your slow cooker, and cooking time should be adjusted as needed.
How to Store
FRIDGE: Transfer your leftover Slow Cooker Molten Lava Cake to an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. To reheat, warm in the microwave in 30-second intervals.
Given the nature of the molten lava center with the delicate cake, we don’t recommend freezing.
More Delicious Easy Dessert Recipes
More Crockpot Desserts
All your favorite holidays deserve this ooey gooey crock pot chocolate cake for dessert. Bonus! It’s half the work of a traditional lava cake. Think Valentine’s Day, Christmas, and even Thanksgiving!
Love this crockpot chocolate lava cake recipe? Please leave a 5 star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card below ⬇️ and/or a review in the comment section further down.
Chocolate Crockpot Lava Cake Recipe
- 6-quart Crock Pot
- Spatula or cooking spoon
- large bowl
- medium bowl
For the Cake Batter
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups granulated white sugar
- 6 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk (whatever type you have on hand)
- 6 tablespoons butter (melted)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
For the Topping
- ½ cup granulated white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar (firmly packed)
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 3 cups hot water
- vanilla ice cream
- whipped cream
To Make the Cake Batter
- Gather your ingredients and spray the inside of a 6-quart crock pot with non-stick cooking spray.
- Whisk together the milk, melted butter, and vanilla in a large bowl.
- Add the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt and mix until just combined. Pour the batter into the bottom of the crock pot.
To Make the Topping
- In a medium bowl, mix the sugar, brown sugar, and cocoa powder until combined. Sprinkle evenly over the cake batter in the crockpot.
- Pour the hot water over the cake batter and topping. DO NOT STIR. Cover and cook on HIGH 2.5 to 3 hours or LOW for 4 hours. The cake is done when the top is dry, and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream, and don’t forget to spoon some of the chocolate sauce from the bottom of the slow cooker over the top.