Instant Pot Spaghetti and Meat Sauce is a 20-minute pressure cooker meal that's easy, budget-friendly, and satisfies the whole family. You'll make it on busy weeknights all the time! This recipe is so simple.
Mmmm, spaghetti! There is no doubt, Instant Pot Spaghetti and Meat Sauce is a simple and economical recipe that feeds a family like no other! It's a classic pasta dish that's family loved, so let's make it quick and easy in your Instant Pot!
What makes this recipe even better? It's lightened up by using ground turkey. It's still a very flavorful, satisfying meal, just made with less saturated fat!
Of course, you can always use ground beef or chicken if that's what you're in the mood for this week!
If you like cooking pasta in your pressure cooker, then definitely try Instant Pot Tortellini Soup. Another easy meal that families love.
You may be asking yourself the following question...
Can You Cook Pasta in the Instant Pot?
Yes! You can certainly cook pasta in the instant pot! It turns out tender and perfect - as long as you don't overcook it.
Here are a couple of tips when cooking spaghetti in the Instant Pot:
- Because of its length, the spaghetti needs to be broken in half to fit under the liquid and cook properly within the pot.
- Once it's done cooking, it may seem like there is too much liquid. Just give the pasta a quick stir, and it will be just the right consistency.
- Regular, gluten-free, or whole wheat pasta can be used when making pasta in the Instant Pot.
- Ground Meat - we prefer ground turkey, but lean ground beef is also wonderful.
- Olive Oil - extra virgin olive oil.
- Sea Salt - the best way to flavor your dishes.
- Fresh Onion - minced. You can also used dehydrated onion.
- Fresh Garlic - this adds bold flavor and is best minced.
- Basil - dried basil is great or an Italian seasoning blend.
- Marinara Sauce - any variety you prefer.
- Spaghetti Noodles - regular or whole wheat spaghetti noodles.
- Water - to cook the pasta.
- Parmesan Cheese - the best topping!
How to Make Step By Step Instructions
One of the biggest benefits of using your Instant Pot is cooking everything in one pot. You are going to love this Pasta IP with Meat Sauce recipe!
Step One: Brown Your Meat
The first step, press sauté on your Instant Pot, add a tablespoon of olive oil, let it heat up, and then cook your ground turkey and salt (or ground beef) and break it into small chunks. About 3-4 minutes.
Add your onions and fresh garlic and cook another minute or two. This really gives it a good flavor.
Step Two: Add Your Sauce and Spaghetti
Now, add your marinara sauce, add water, basil, and spaghetti. Break the spaghetti noodles in half to fit into the Instant pot to be fully covered by the liquid. Press down if necessary, but don't stir.
Tip: Cover your pasta in the liquid to make sure it cooks properly.
Add salt and pepper to taste if desired.
Step Three: Cook & Serve
Cover and cook on the high-pressure setting for 8 minutes. When done, do a quick release, so the pasta doesn't continue cooking. Finally, give it a quick stir and serve topped with grated parmesan cheese.
Stove Top Cooking Method
Alternative Cooking Method: You can always cook your spaghetti and meat sauce following the same instructions but using a large pot on the stove. After your meat is browned, cover ingredients and cook over medium heat for about 20 minutes, or until tender. Stir halfway through.
Tips & Tricks
- Some Instant Pot models have a very sensitive burn sensor. To prevent this warning from going off, when using the sauté function, always deglaze the pot with a tablespoon or two of water or broth before adding your other ingredients.
- It may seem like there is too much liquid after cooking your Spaghetti in the Instant Pot, give it a quick stir, and it will be the right consistency.
- If using ground beef, make sure to drain the fat before adding the remaining ingredients. It will be healthier and tastier.
- You can always garnish your pasta with a bit of fresh basil.
- Leftovers of Instant Pot Spaghetti with meat sauce are great the next day for lunch or dinner! Just place your leftovers in a meal prep container, and you're good to go!
Substitutions for this Recipe
- If you don't have fresh garlic, that's okay. Just use 1-2 teaspoons of garlic powder.
- Running low on onions, that's fine. You can use 1 teaspoon onion powder.
- Marinara sauce = whatever pasta sauce you like.
- If you have an Italian herb blend, that would be fine to use in place of the dried basil.
- Whole wheat spaghetti or regular is great in this recipe.
What to Serve with Pasta
- The kids love garlic bread with their spaghetti. We try and make sure it's a whole wheat version.
- For greens, a nice side salad, green beans, or roasted Brussels sprouts would be great.
- Of course, pasta is ALWAYS delish topped with grated Parmesan cheese!!
How to Make Gluten-Free Spaghetti In the Instant Pot
It's actually quite easy to make your Instant Pot Pasta gluten-free. Simply use your favorite gluten-free spaghetti noodle and make sure your sauce doesn't contain any gluten.
Can You Freeze Instant Pot Spaghetti?
Yes, you can freeze your cooked spaghetti in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Just make sure it's cooled completely and store it properly to avoid freezer burn.
More Pasta Recipes
This post contains affiliate links. Disclosure Policy here.
We Love to Hear From You!
If you try this Instant Pot Pasta or any other recipe on Suburban Simplicity, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let us know how it went in the comments below; we love hearing from you! Better yet, use the hashtag #suburbansimplicity if you make the recipe.
Easy Instant Pot Spaghetti and Meat Sauce Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup minced onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 25 ounce jar marinara sauce
- 2 cups water
- 8 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti
- Grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Press sauté on your Instant Pot, add a tablespoon of olive oil, let it heat up. Cook your ground turkey and salt (or ground beef) while breaking it into small chunks. About 3-4 minutes. Add your onions and garlic and cook another minute or two.
- Add your marinara sauce, water, basil, and spaghetti to the pot. Break the pasta in half to fit into the Instant pot to be fully covered by the liquid. Press down if necessary, but don't stir.
- Cover and cook on high-pressure setting for 8 minutes. When done, do a quick release, so the pasta doesn't continue cooking. Finally, give it a quick stir and serve topped with grated parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
- You can use ground beef or chicken in place of ground turkey in this recipe.
- You can use gluten-free or regular pasta in place of whole wheat.
Enjoy pasta night!! It's a favorite around here.
Other Instant Pot Dinners to Try