Grilled Pesto Shrimp Skewers are the perfect summer recipe! Easy to make, healthy and please a crowd. Skewers are for much more than beef and chicken!
This recipe originally appeared on Somewhat Simple.
Grilled Pesto Shrimp Skewers
Now that it’s grillin’ season, you have to try this simple Grilled Pesto Shrimp recipe! It’s one of our warm weather go-to recipes along with this flavorful Strawberry Balsamic Flatbread. We devour this shrimp every week or so in the summertime. It totally fits with my love of healthy food recipes! I have to admit, it was a little surprising to find out that the kids even like it. Maybe now that they’re older we can move past the chicken nuggets and macaroni! Yay!
If you enjoy making your own pesto great, if not, no worries. We often use a store bought pesto and have similar results – a tasty meal that takes almost no effort at all.
The recipe couldn’t be easier, you simply make the pesto or use your favorite store bought variety, marinate the shrimp, skewer it on sticks and grill it! It’s ready in a flash! We sometime serve the recipe as an appetizer before a meal because it’s light and goes with just about everything. Over salad works too!
Serving Grilled Shrimp with Pesto to a Crowd
Serving these Grilled Pesto Shrimp Skewers to a crowd? Then place them on a platter over a bed of greens or right on the stick for a fun handheld appetizer. Either way, they’re delicious and nutritious. For a heartier meal, the shrimp are super tasty over pasta too! We also like this recipe when friends come by because it’s low carb and gluten free, so everyone can usually eat it.
Grilled Pesto Shrimp Skewers
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves (, chopped)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts (, toasted (leave out if you want a skinnier recipe))
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs jumbo ((21/25) shrimp, peeled and deveined (weight after peeled))
- salt and fresh pepper to taste
- 7-10 wooden skewers (, or metal skewers)
- In a food processor (I use my mini prep) pulse basil, garlic, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper until smooth. Slowly add the olive oil while pulsing.
- Combine raw shrimp with pesto in a medium bowl, mix well and marinate for at least 1 hour or place in fridge overnight. Soak wooden skewers in water at least 20 minutes (or use metal ones to avoid this step - which is what we prefer). Thread shrimp onto skewers.
- Heat grill (outdoor or indoor grill pan) over medium heat until hot. Spray lightly with non-stick spray. Place the shrimp on the hot grill and cook until shrimp turns pink on the bottom, about 3-4 minutes; turn and continue cooking until shrimp is opaque and cooked through, about 2-3 minutes more.
Tips for Making Grilled Pesto Shrimp Skewers
- We find that if we pack the shrimp too tight on the skewers, it takes a bit longer to cook and can easily be overcooked. Better to use more skewers with fewer shrimp on each.
- You can soak your wooden skewers in water for at least 20 minutes so the shrimp stay moist, or use metal ones to avoid this step.
- Serve with a fresh lemon wedge for enhanced flavor.
Enjoy this healthy grilled pesto shrimp recipe as an easy weeknight meal or for your next cookout, but make sure you make more than you think you’ll need – they’re a family favorite around our house!
Other Summertime Favorites: