This Chocolate Chip Trifle is the ultimate in decadence while being incredibly easy to prepare. Simple chocolate pudding and whipped cream are made special with chocolate chip cookie crumbles and a drizzle of chocolate syrup. A delightful trifle recipe that you will love making for yourself, or to serve your next guests.
We are known for our amazingly delicious Chocolate Trifles!
Table of Contents
Chocolate Chip Trifle Recipe
There is nothing like a perfect spoonful of trifle for dessert. When each bite has rich pudding, light and airy whipped cream, and a hint of texture from the cookie crumbles, you will find everyone begging for more. There is just something special about Chocolate Trifle Recipes!
Our perfectly portioned chocolate chip trifle is a great make-ahead dessert that serves beautifully and satisfies the chocolate lover at your dinner table. There’s nothing as satisfying as sitting down with your guests and hearing them exclaim in awe because the dessert you served was so darn amazing.
If you are looking for another trifle option, you need to check out our Raspberry Chocolate Mousse Trifle. Creamy chocolate mousse is the epitome of delicious and the addition of raspberries really brings this up a level.
What is the Best Chocolate Sauce for This Trifle?
The chocolate drizzle on top is one of the best parts of this recipe. We grew up using classic Hershey’s syrup for treats like this, and it works wonderfully. That said, we like adding something a bit more decadent, and Ghiradelli has a line of chocolate sauces that are absolutely incredible.
Add an extra bit of kick to your trifle by pouring on the higher quality chocolate sauce.
Another alternative is to make your own simple chocolate sauce by melting quality chocolate and mixing with a bit of cream for a rich and thicker sauce.
My chocolate cherry trifle is another amazing option for using extra syrup or sauce if you make it homemade.
Can I Serve This From a Large Trifle Bowl?
We designed this recipe to created in individual servings, but you can most definitely pull out the large trifle bowl and create one big dessert. The chocolate chip trifle recipe would be layered just like you do in the individual cups, only in larger quantities to fill the trifle dish.
What is the Best Trifle Dish to Use?
We love using our large clear glass trifle dish. It looks kind of like a cake stand base with a large bowl on top.
If you do not have a trifle dish, you can use any large bowl. It’s best to use a clear glass option so you can see the layers you create, but if you don’t have one on hand and aren’t serving to guests, you can make this in any container with a lid to keep it fresh.
Other Trifle Recipes
Can You Make Pudding with Almond Milk?
Since this easy trifle recipe uses basic pudding mix and milk, I know there will be a question from some about using almond milk as a substitute for the whole milk. While almond milk is excellent in many recipes as a replacement for dairy, this is not one of them.
In some vegetarian groups, we’ve seen individuals mention using less almond milk to create a similar thickness, so you may consider doing a test batch. We have not tried this method, so we cannot verify it’s successful.
Why Doesn’t Almond Milk Work with Pudding Mix?
The tetrasodium pyrophosphate in the pudding mix reacts with the calcium in the milk to create a thickened pudding. While almond milk contains calcium, it is a bit different and also has a thinner base and thus won’t produce the texture you desire.
How to Make Chocolate Chip Trifle
To begin this recipe, you will need to bake your chocolate chip cookies. Normally, we prefer them to be a bit on the chewy side, but for this recipe you can cook them a bit longer to make them crispy, just don’t burn them!
Step 1 – Whip Your Cream
While your cookies are baking, you will make your homemade whipped cream. For this, you will beat together heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla extract until soft peaks form. See the recipe for exact measurements.
Set aside your whipped cream. Of course, if you’re in a hurry, a tub of Cool Whip will do.
Step 2 – Make Your Pudding
Place your instant pudding mix and 2 cups whole milk in a medium bowl and mix with either a whisk or electric mixer for two minutes. Set aside until ready to assemble your trifle.
How to Assemble This Trifle Dessert
Now, it’s time to begin assembling this yummy trifle! If you are making one large trifle, you’ll follow the same steps, only on a larger scale. We prefer serving this in individual dessert glasses because it keeps us from eating too much at a time. IT’S THAT GOOD and looks great in the smaller cups!
Place a layer of cookies or cookie crumbles on the bottom of the glass trifle cup.
Next, you will spread an even layer of pudding over the cookies. Top the pudding with a layer of whipped cream.
Tip: Make sure to spread your layers all the way to the edge of your trifle cup or bowl. This creates a nice defined layer.
Repeat the process for an additional layer, and then top the trifle with crumbled cookies and a drizzle of chocolate sauce and/or shaved chocolate if desired.
Tips for Making the Best Chocolate Chip Trifle
- For the best presentation, make sure your cookie, pudding, and whipped cream layers go all the way to the edge of your bowl or glass.
- Trifles work best if you let them set, so this is the perfect dessert to make ahead of time.
- We don’t recommend freezing trifles.
- This Chocolate Trifle can be made up to a day ahead of time.
- You can certainly substitute your favorite cookie of choice for this recipe. Chocolate or Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies would be our recommendation.
- This trifle is great for almost any festive occasion: Christmas, New Years, birthdays, church, potlucks, picnics, or bridal/baby showers.
If You Try this Recipe Let Us Know!
If you try this Chocolate Chip Trifle Recipe or any other recipe on Suburban Simplicity, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let us know how it went in the comments below, we love hearing from you! Better yet, use the hashtag #suburbansimplicity if you make the recipe.
Chocolate Chip Trifle
- Trifle Dish
- 48 Baked Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 4 cups whole milk
- 2 packages Jell-O Dark Chocolate Instant Pudding
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream sweetened with 1/3 cup sugar and 1 tsp vanilla (or 24 ounces of Cool Whip)
- 1/3 cup chocolate sauce (to drizzle over the top)
- Chocolate Shavings for garnish (optional)
- Bake your chocolate chip cookies and then let cool completely. Next, break into large pieces. Or, use store-bought and break into pieces. Set aside 4-5 cookies for topping.
- While cookies are baking, make your whipped cream by placing the heavy whipping cream in a large bowl with 1/3 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat with mixer until soft peaks form.
- For the chocolate pudding, follow package instruction to make a chocolate pudding using whole milk.
- If making individual servings, divide the cookies into how many servings you’ll make (at least 6-8), and place half of each serving in the bottom of the cup, jar or dish. If using a large trifle dish, place half of the cookie pieces in the bottom.
- Create the second layer by topping the cookies with pudding. Make sure to go all the way to the edges to create a defined layer.
- Create a layer of whipped cream (or Cool Whip), ensuring you spread it all the way to the edges.
- Repeat all the layers (cookies, chocolate pudding, and whipped cream) at least one more time. Top this with reserved cookie pieces, then drizzle with chocolate sauce and finish with shaved chocolate if desired. Cover and refrigerate and serve when ready.
- Most recipes, including this one, are sooo much better if you make your own whipped cream that’s lightly sweetened. However, if short on time, grab a tub of Cool Whip.
- Trifles tend to look better if you make sure your layers go all the way to the side of your dish or cup and don’t have any gaps.
This recipe can be made the night before and stored in the refrigerator until ready to eat.
- This trifle is great for almost any festive occasion: Christmas, birthdays, church, potlucks, picnics, 4th of July, or bridal/baby showers.