Chicken Lettuce Wraps are a healthy comfort food recipe the whole family will love! An easy dinner idea that’s on the table in less than 30 minutes!
Chicken Lettuce Wraps
We have a family tradition in our house. Each week one of the kids plans, shops for and cooks a healthy dinner. We started this tradition a few years ago for several reasons….and not just so I could get out of cooking! One of the important reasons is to teach our 4 kids how important it is to eat healthy and make good choices when it come to food. A recipe they came up with is Chicken Lettuce Wraps – the perfect New Comfort Food – fresh and delicious!
The New Comfort Food Is:
1. Natural ingredients that are free of additives, preservatives, antibiotics and hormones
2. Using mostly local, seasonal ingredients
3. Minimal ingredients in the recipe
4. Quick, easy steps and fast prep time
What could be better for your family? Ready to try a great recipe?
Natural and Fresh Ingredients for Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Since we try to eat healthy food recipes especially when it’s a family meal, I really like Foster Farms Simply Raised chicken. It’s locally grown here in the Pacific Northwest and never has antibiotics. It is American Humane Certified and fed a 100% vegetarian diet, without any added hormones or steroids.
It’s nice knowing what’s in our food and where it comes from and teaching the kids how to look for food products your can trust.
Just add some fresh veggies and a whole grain, like brown rice, to go with your Chicken Lettuce Wraps and you’ve got yourself a hearty and healthy meal that’s on the table in less than 30 minutes!
Just look for the Foster Farms Simply Raised green package when shopping for your fresh ingredients.
Once you cut and cook your chicken, add a few simple ingredients and you have a flavorful dish.
My daughter likes this recipe so much, she goes back for seconds before the rest of us are half way done!
What Lettuce is Used for Wraps?
So, it’s somewhat personal preference, but Iceberg, Boston, green leaf and butter lettuce seem to be the most popular, our favorites being iceberg and butter.
Asian wraps seemed to use iceberg lettuce a bit more. This type of lettuce does give them a nice crispness, but I think it can be hard to roll and falls apart a bit. Hence, why some of the softer lettuces — like butter lettuce are used more regularly.
If you’ve tried these Chicken Lettuce Wraps or any other recipe on Suburban Simplicity, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it went in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food, fun crafts + DIYs and what I’m up to on a daily basis!
Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 pound chicken thighs
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 onion diced
- 1/4 cup Hoisin sauce
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 Tablespoon Sriracha optional
- 1/2 cup whole water chestnuts drained and diced
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Butter or leafy green lettuce
- Cut chicken thighs into small chunks.
- Heat sesame oil in a saucepan over medium high heat. Add chicken and cook until browned, about 5 minutes; drain excess fat.
- Stir in garlic, onion, and ginger and cook for 1-2 minutes. Then stir in hoisin sauce, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, and Sriracha (optional). Cook 1-2 minutes more.
- Stir in chestnuts and green onions and cook until tender, about 1-2 minutes; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Spoon a large scoop (about 1/4 cup) of chicken mixture into the center of each lettuce leaf. Serve immediately.
Some say this recipe is just like PF Chang’s lettuce wraps. Since this recipe is healthy and delicious with fresh ingredients, I think it might be better and the kiddos agree! They’d totally make it again and again.
Join for a FREE 5 Day Series to Simplify Your Life
Plus DIYs, crafts, recipes and helpful tips delivered directly to your inbox!