This Paleo Pumpkin Pie tastes delicious and is grain-free and dairy-free. This healthier Thanksgiving recipe has just the right amount of spice and a velvety filling you'll crave all season long!
Although we love Thanksgiving and all its delicious trimming, the holiday can be somewhat of a challenge for those with restricted diets.
Every dish is baked with gobs of sugar, dairy, or other ingredients that just aren't going to work. And what about pumpkin pie - the quintessential Thanksgiving dessert? We are delighted to share this recipe for Paleo Pumpkin Pie that tastes so good; you seriously won't miss the original.
Besides dessert, there'll always be turkey on the Thanksgiving table around our house! What about you?
Paleo Pumpkin Pie with Grain Free Crust
My husband is a BIG help in the kitchen and made the crust for this recipe, so I know you can too 🙂 So let's get started making this Paleo Pumpkin Pie with a Pecan Crust!
Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees F.
Just like the squirrels, gather your nuts and process them in a food processor until finely ground or almost a flour consistency. Do not over-process the nuts, or you’ll end up with butter instead! We love this pecan and hazelnut crust for pie!
In a bowl, mix the ground nuts with your coconut oil (if going dairy-free) or butter, and then press the crust mixture into a pie plate, making sure you get it up the sides. Then, bake for 10 minutes.
While the delicious nut crust bakes, mix all the filling ingredients in a medium bowl. We love how all the fall pumpkin spices smell!
Finally, add your filling to the pre-baked crust, place it back in the oven, and bake for an additional 45 minutes. You're looking for the filling to become solid but nice and velvety.
Tips for Making Pumpkin Pie that's Gluten-Free and Dairy Free
- Do not over-process your nuts while in the food processor, or you’ll end up with nut butter instead!
- This recipe calls for pumpkin puree. You can buy canned pumpkin puree (making sure it’s NOT pumpkin pie filling), or you can roast fresh pumpkin in a 350-degree F. oven for about an hour to make your own puree. I usually don't have time for that option since I'm working on other turkey day recipes!
- If you're hosting Thanksgiving this year, here's a Thanksgiving Planner that is super helpful for a stress-free holiday. Don't forget to grab the Thanksgiving Printable Checklist - it's invaluable!
We Love Hearing From You
If you’ve tried this Paleo Pumpkin Pie or any other recipe on Suburban Simplicity, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it went in the comments below; I love hearing from you!
Paleo Pumpkin Pie Recipe (grain-free)
- 1 cup pecans
- ½ cup hazelnuts
- 4 tablespoon coconut oil (room temperature), (butter or ghee (if you can tolerate))
- A pinch of sea salt
- 1 can fresh or canned pumpkin puree (about 1 ¾ cups)
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup local raw honey
- ½ cup full fat coconut milk
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon fresh grated ginger (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Process nuts in a food processor until finely ground or almost a flour consistency. Do not over process nuts, or you’ll end up with butter instead.
- In a bowl, mix the ground nuts with the coconut oil or butter and then press the crust mixture in a pie plate and bake for 10 minutes.
- While the crust bakes, mix all the filling ingredients together in a medium bowl.
- Add the filling to the pre-baked crust, place back in the oven and bake for an additional 45 minutes.
Now you, too, can enjoy the traditional Thanksgiving dessert with this Paleo Pumpkin Pie Recipe!
You May Also Like:
Paleo Strawberry Balsamic Fig Jam