Curried Couscous with Broccoli and Feta
Curried Couscous with Broccoli and Feta is an easy dish that's packed with flavor and texture. You can't go wrong with this dinner or side dish recipe!
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 15 minutes
- 3/4 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked couscous whole wheat or regular
- 1 1/2 cups small broccoli florets
- 1/3 cup shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup finely diced red onion
- 1/4 cup raisins optional
- 1/4 cup dry-roasted cashews chopped
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
Bring 1 3/4 cups water to a boil in a medium pan. Gradually stir in couscous. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
While couscous stands, steam broccoli florets, covered, for 3 minutes or until tender. Once cooled, chop smaller if necessary.
In a large bowl, combine couscous, broccoli, carrot, and next 10 ingredients (carrot through chickpeas), mix to combine. Sprinkle with feta cheese and serve.
Curried Couscous Cooking Tips
- Toasting couscous gives it more flavor. You can melt a little butter or olive oil in the saucepan and stir in your couscous until it smells fragrant and toasty.
- This recipe can sometimes need a little extra olive oil to make it moist. Add as much as you'd like until you have the consistency you desire.
- Small broccoli pieces work best, so chop them smaller if you are cooking larger heads.
- If you don't have regular raisins on hand, I've used currents and golden raisins in this recipe with great results.
- If you want to make it a heartier meal, this recipe is wonderful with cooked chicken, shrimp or thin strips of flank steak.
- This recipe is even better if you let it sit for a while before serving to allow the flavors to meld.
Calories: 329kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 20mg | Sodium: 625mg | Potassium: 323mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 1690IU | Vitamin C: 26.4mg | Calcium: 147mg | Iron: 1.6mg