This easy and savory Ham and Cheese Frittata is a great breakfast, lunch, or dinner for kids and adults! It’s low-carb, high in protein, and only takes 30 minutes to make!
Ham and Cheese Frittata Recipe
We’re not sure what makes a frittata so good. Maybe because it’s quiche-like and cooks up so quickly. Maybe it’s because they are a good low carb option for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Maybe it’s because it’s easy and inexpensive to make and we get to use our cast iron skillet , which we love.
Whatever the reason, this Ham and Cheese Frittata Recipe never disappoints!
What is a Frittata
A frittata is an egg-based Italian dish similar to an omelet  or crustless quiche. It is totally customizable to your preferences for meat, cheese, and veggies.
Really, who doesn’t love recipes topped with baked cheese?
Basic Ingredients for Frittata
- Egg Whites
- Milk – to make it light and creamy.
- Dry Mustard – to enhance the flavor.
- Ham – or any other breakfast meat like bacon or sausage.
- Cheese – cheddar or whatever cheese you prefer.
How To Make A Fritatta
To start, preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Make Egg Mixture. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites, non-fat milk, and Dijon mustard. Then, season with 1/2 tsp of salt and pepper. Set this aside.
- Cook Veggies. Heat oil in 10-inch oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. We love to use a cast-iron skillet. Add spinach and sauté until wilted. Then, sprinkle with 1/4 salt.
- Mix-in Other Ingredients. Toss in potatoes or sweet potato tater tots and ham to the pan.
- Combine with Egg Mixture. Pour in egg mixture, reduce; reduce heat to medium. Next, top with shredded cheese.
- Cook on Stove Top. Cook 5 minutes, occasionally running a spatula between egg mixture and side of the pan until eggs are set.
- Bake. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or until set in the center. Broil on high for 3 minutes to brown the top.
Remove from oven top with green onions or fresh parsley and enjoy!
What to Serve with A Frittata
Slice and serve with a fresh green salad or roasted vegetables ! Delish!
Other Flavor Combinations for Frittatas
The flavor combinations for frittatas are endless – you can mix and match to your liking. They’re so versatile, you can use whatever you have on hand. This recipe is for a ham and cheese frittata with a sweet potato base, but any of the following are great in frittatas:
- Cheddar Cheese
- Gruyere Cheese
- Regular Potatoes
- Veggies – like broccoli, spinach, onions, mushrooms, leeks, zucchini, and peppers
These are all great combos that bake up well.
Tips for Making a Ham and Cheese Frittata
- You can use sweet potato, regular tater tots, or even hash browned potatoes in this recipe depending on your preference.
- This frittata recipe can also be put into muffin cups for individual servings.
- You need an oven-safe pan to make this recipe.
- Ham and Cheese Frittatas are an easy make-ahead dish and frittatas, in general, are great leftovers. They make tasty lunch options for kids and adults.
- Use whatever vegetables or protein you have on hand. Combinations like sausage, spinach, and cheese or bacon, broccoli, and cheddar are wonderful. You could definitely make this vegetarian by not including the meat!
How Kids Can Help
Get the kids in the kitchen! They can help with this recipe by grating the cheese, washing the vegetables.
Other Breakfast Ideas
We Love Hearing from Fans!
If you try this Ham and Cheese Frittata or any other recipe on Suburban Simplicity then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let us know how it went in the comments below, we love hearing from you! Better yet, use the hashtag #suburbansimplicity if you make the recipe.
Ham and Cheese Frittata
- mixing bowl
- 3/4 lbs sweet potato tater tots
- 7 eggs
- 5 large egg whites
- 1/3 cup non-fat or low-fat milk
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup diced ham
- 8 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites, non-fat milk, mustard, 1/2 tsp of salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat oil in 10-inch oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Add spinach and sauté until wilted. Sprinkle with 1/4 salt.
- Toss in potatoes or sweet potato tater tots and ham.
- Pour in egg mixture, reduce; reduce heat to medium. Top with shredded cheese.
- Cook 5 minutes, occasionally running a spatula between egg mixture and side of the pan.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan and transfer to the oven.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or until set in the center. Broil on high for 3 minutes to brown.