Easy Peanut Butter Oatmeal Bars are a delicious recipe idea your whole family will love! A healthy grab and go breakfast idea or after school snack. One bowl and one pan are all you need. Perfect for the peanut butter lover!
Easy Peanut Butter Oatmeal Bars
What can we say? We’re a family who loves oatmeal bars ! These Peanut Butter Oatmeal Bars are no exception! Not too sweet, but totally satisfying! They make a nutritious, easy breakfast, snack or post-workout pick me up any day!
It’s hard finding healthy food recipes  the kid’s love, especially snacks that don’t come in a package or wrapper and contain icky processed ingredients.
Are Oat Bars Healthy?
One of our go-to healthy snack ingredients is oatmeal. Oatmeal contains calcium, potassium, and soluble fiber, so it’s good for your heart and health!
Plus, it’s so satisfying.
Oatmeal bars contain whole-grain ingredients and have the added benefit of a little protein when you add creamy peanut butter. This keeps the kiddos satisfied at snack time. (Natural peanut butter, of course 🙂 )
The more we read, the more we find it important to bake my own snacks and treats for my family. Artificial ingredients and preservatives are everywhere, so it’s important to balance that out with some wholesome goodness.
Ingredients for Peanut Butter Oatmeal Bars
These wholesome ingredients make one great bar!
- Creamy Peanut Butter – we like to use all-natural peanut butter, but whatever brand you use will be fine.
- Eggs – two large eggs.
- Honey or Brown Sugar – either works well.
- Vanilla – we like real vanilla extract.
- Baking Soda.
- Old Fashioned Rolled Oats – not quick-cooking oats.
- Whole Wheat Flour – or white flour.
- Dark or semi-sweet chocolate (optional) – to drizzle over the top.
Recipe for Healthy Peanut Butter Oatmeal Bar Recipe
Making these tasty baked peanut butter bars is pretty darn easy. You likely have all the ingredients on hand in your pantry  and can whip them up before the kids are home from school. Perfect!
One large bowl. One pan. One delicious snack!
First, line your baking pan with parchment paper. (This will keep your bars from sticking and make them easy to take out.)
Now, combine all your wet ingredients – peanut butter, eggs, vanilla, and honey. Stir well.
Then add your dry ingredients (oats, baking soda, flour). Mix thoroughly and then press into a baking pan.
Place the pan in your preheated oven and bake for 15-17 minutes until golden brown. Then, let them cool and top with a drizzle of chocolate if you’re so inclined. (how could you not be inclined, it’s chocolate!)
Just melt your chocolate morsels in the microwave and drizzle over the bars.
Substitutions for Peanut Butter Oat Bars
- Coconut sugar for the brown sugar (or honey).
- Regular white flour for the whole wheat flour.
- Crunchy peanut butter for the creamy peanut butter if that all you have on hand.
- Dark chocolate for the semi-sweet chocolate morsels.
- Almond butter for the peanut butter.
Tips for Making Peanut Butter Oatmeal Bars
- These Peanut Butter Bars with Oatmeal aren’t overly sweet. If you want a more sweet bar, you can add a bit more sugar. We find adding a little drizzle of chocolate (dark or semi-sweet) gives them precisely what they need to please everyone!
- If your family prefers regular flour, sub out the whole wheat. You can also use a combo of both.
- One of our readers suggests doubling the batch – they’re that good!
How To Store Oatmeal Bars with Peanut Butter
To store, layer your bars between waxed paper in an airtight container. Keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Bring back to room temperature before serving.
You can also flash freeze them and then freeze them in an airtight container for up to three months. If you follow our tips to prevent freezer burn , you’ll be all set!
Gluten-Free Peanut Butter Oat Bars
You can make this recipe gluten-free, but omitting the whole wheat flour and upping the oats to 2 cups. Just make sure they are gluten-free oats.
Supplies Used for This Recipe
If You Love Peanut Butter
If you’re a fan of Peanut Butter, definitely try these GF Peanut Butter Cookies !
We Love to Hear from YOU!
If you try these Peanut Butter Oat Squares or any other recipe on Suburban Simplicity  then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let us know how it went in the comments below, we love hearing from you! Better yet, use the hashtag #suburbansimplicity if you make the recipe.
Peanut Butter Oatmeal Bars
- mixing bowl
- 8x8 baking pan
- parchment paper
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup honey or brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup dark or semi-sweet chocolate morsels
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Line the bottom of an 8x8 pan with parchment paper spray or with cooking spray.
- In a medium mixing bowl add the peanut butter, eggs, honey, and vanilla. Mix to combine. Stir in baking soda, old fashioned oats, and whole wheat flour until everything is evenly incorporated.
- Place batter in the prepared pan and press mixture into the bottom of the pan in an even layer. Bake for 15-17 minutes. If you overcook it, it may get dry. Stick a toothpick into the center, when it comes out clean it's done.
- You can stop here or add a little chocolate topping. While bars cool on a wire rack, melt chocolate in the microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring between intervals until completely melted.
- Once your chocolate is melted, drizzle over the top of the bars. Enjoy!
This post was updated with enhanced instructions on March 23, 2020.
If you like Oatmeal, You’ll Love These:
Easy Oatmeal Bars