This 5-minute Homemade Hummus Recipe is even better than store bought! It’s fresh, creamy and a healthy, gluten free snack idea that’s good anytime!
How To Make Homemade Hummus
Store bought is good, but Homemade Hummus is even better!! It’s so fresh and creamy, you’ll be hooked on this homemade version the first time you make it…I am! I love to enjoy it with fresh veggies out of the garden or a tasty cracker…but pita chips are my favorite!
Tip: Scroll down for a how-to video!
If you know me, you know I’m a snacker. Not a slacker. A SNACKER. Anything in small bites is right up my alley. I also like to eat healthy, so I started making my own hummus and haven’t looked back. It so easy and keeps in the fridge for about a week, so it’s handy whenever that little snack urge strikes!
What Goes With Hummus?
- Pita Chips
- Sliced Cucumber
- Corn Chips
- Feta Cheese
- Crackers of Choice
- Fresh Veggies (carrots, zucchini, celery)
- Spread On Sandwiches
- Sliced Pita Bread
If you’ve tried this Homemade Hummus or any other recipe on Suburban Simplicity , then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it went in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK , TWITTER , INSTAGRAM  and PINTEREST  to see more delicious food, fun crafts + DIYs and what I’m up to on a daily basis!
Easy Homemade Hummus
- 2 15.5 oz cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (more if you prefer)
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 1/4 tsp coarse salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Reserving 1/2 cup liquid, rinse and drain chickpeas.
- Place chickpeas, lemon juice, tahini, olive oil and garlic in food processor. Process until smooth.
- Add cayenne, salt and reserved liquid, process until just combined. Use more or less of liquid to desired consistency.
- Drizzle with olive oil if desired. Eat and enjoy!
This post contains affiliate links. Disclosure policy here .
Tips For The Best Homemade Hummus
- Remember to reserve a little of the liquid from the can of chick peas because that’s what makes this hummus so smooth and creamy.
- Making hummus in a blender is fine as long as it’s high powered. I’ve used my Vitamix  and it turned out great. But what doesn’t turn out great in a Vitamix ?
- Removing the skins of the chickpea will make the hummus really creamy, but I often skip this extra step and it turns out great!
- Fresh is best – fresh lemon and garlic really make this recipe zesty and delicious.
- Homemade hummus will keep for about a week in the fridge.
- You can change up the flavor of your hummus by added roasted red pepper, cumin or spices of your choice!
Here’s a Quick Video How-To
With this easy recipe and the few simple tricks, you can make creamy smooth hummus at home and yes, we really do think it’s even better than store bought 🙂
You May Also Like:
This Roasted Red Pepper and Artichoke Dip  is a family favorite. Well, when I share it that is 🙂
The best make ahead recipe for gatherings are these 3-Ingredient Crockpot Meatball . Always the hit of the party.
Join for a FREE 5 Day Series to Simplify Your Life
Plus DIYs, crafts, recipes and helpful tips delivered directly to your inbox!